GOOD POSITIONING play at the plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Offer here a GOOD example of
Catcher positioning for a play at the plate.

By avoiding getting in the Runners way without the ball, particularly staying away from that foul line to give a clear path for the runner to the plate to avoid having an obstruction call on the play.

Nice ESPN video might as well use it
thanks for the replay on this one 🙂

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Any critiques of the following....? The second part is from my DD's first Varsity action as a freshman. What do you all think?

Nice positioning, including properly placing the left foot with toes pointed at the runner.

However....PLEASE LEAVE THE HELMET ON YOUR HEAD!!! The runner has a helmet with a metal face mask, I want my catcher's face protected at least that much.

Jan 22, 2011
Nice positioning, including properly placing the left foot with toes pointed at the runner.

However....PLEASE LEAVE THE HELMET ON YOUR HEAD!!! The runner has a helmet with a metal face mask, I want my catcher's face protected at least that much.
YES ON LEAVING HELMET ON!!! DD caught in a game for first time in 3 years last weekend and couldn't find a popup that went straight up in the air, landed a foot or two in front of homeplate, and bounced foul. I really like and respect the HS HC... played against him several times since 8u rec and is the 2nd most sportsmanlike coach I know. He yelled "take the helmet off next time". I had to take a deep breath and count to 10 not to yell back "she's had 3 concussions and her catching coach says softball catchers never take their helmets off with the hockey mask style helmet."

May 24, 2013
So Cal
YES ON LEAVING HELMET ON!!! DD caught in a game for first time in 3 years last weekend and couldn't find a popup that went straight up in the air, landed a foot or two in front of homeplate, and bounced foul. I really like and respect the HS HC... played against him several times since 8u rec and is the 2nd most sportsmanlike coach I know. He yelled 'take the helmet off next time". I had to take a deep breath and count to 10 not to yell back 'she's had 3 concussions and her catching coach says softball catchers never take their helmets off.'

I have yet to see a play where I thought a catcher could have made the out if she took her helmet off. I've seen plenty where taking the helmet off cost them the out. If the catcher isn't reading the direction of the ball off the bat, it's not doing the make much difference whether or not they have a helmet on. Leave it on...

Apr 25, 2019

I agree. I have shown her videos of catcher collisions but it's a tough habit to break. We are still working on it but in the heat of it, I'm sure it's tough.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
My DD likes to have her left foot just a little up the line from the left front corner of the plate, with her toes pointed towards the runner...
(Start at 0:13)

Side note - DD misses that SS so very much.

Just my thoughts after going over this video several times and frame by frame, though it DID support my initial feelings, the clip at about 0:17, her foot up the line is problematic, even though she did put it there after the throw was made and the throw was slightly off-line, she had to reach across her body to the 1B side, technically, that left foot up the line IS obstruction. The next one was very good, the last (the dramatic Slo-Mo one) is tougher, she has to adjust due to the off-line throw but moves into the basepath. The runner begins to adjust prior to the ball re-entering the shot, close call and, depending on the sanction could go either way (i.e. NFHS fielder MUST have POSSESSION prior to being in the path of the runner rather than IN THE ACT OF FIELDING ("act of fielding" sanctions C is perfectly fine).

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Any critiques of the following....? The second part is from my DD's first Varsity action as a freshman. What do you all think?

First play, she starts out great, her foot is behind the front plane of the plate, she moves it however (while the umpire moves from one side of the shot to the other) and places it directly in front of the plate prior to having possession of the ball. NFHS is a "must have possession" sanction and not an "in the act of fielding" sanction, could/should have been ruled obstruction due to the repositioning of the foot.

Second play, perfect example of what to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad