Plate Appearance Counting towards stats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
My DD was at bat and was plunked in the back shoulder by the catcher at point blank range when the catcher tried to throw out a runner stealing 3B (No interference was called, as my daughter stayed in the batters box and did not move). This was a HS game. The count was (I think 2-0). She had to leave the game (x-rays are negative, but she is out for a week :().

Should this count as an AB towards her BA?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD was at bat and was plunked in the back shoulder by the catcher at point blank range when the catcher tried to throw out a runner stealing 3B (No interference was called, as my daughter stayed in the batters box and did not move). This was a HS game. The count was (I think 2-0). She had to leave the game (x-rays are negative, but she is out for a week :().

Should this count as an AB towards her BA?

Assuming that she was replaced by a sub who assumed her count, I believe that statistically it never happened. It is similar to when a batter is at the plate and a 3rd out is recorded on another runner. There is no AB or PA.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
Not sure what you are asking. It is not an AB unless there were 2 strikes and the replacement batter strikes out

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
mlb rules

STRIKEOUTS

10.17 (a) A strikeout shall be scored whenever:

(1) A batter is put out by a third strike caught by the catcher;

(2) A batter is put out by a third strike not caught when there is a runner on first before two are out;

(3) A batter becomes a runner because a third strike is not caught;

(4) A batter bunts foul on third strike.

EXCEPTION: If such bunt on third strike results in a foul fly caught by any fielder, do not score a strikeout. Credit the fielder who catches such foul fly with a putout.

(b) When the batter leaves the game with two strikes against him, and the substitute batter completes a strikeout, charge the strikeout and the time at bat to the first batter. If the substitute batter completes the turn at bat in any other manner, including a base on balls, score the action as having been that of the substitute batter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie