frustrating (just a venting post really)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
last night, DDs rec/LL team (I am AC) lost to a team they should have beaten 9 out of 10 (3rd game for us). team had it appears two girls who could reliably catch and throw

DD pitching, cruises through first two innings, like 2 walks, one other baserunner on "E"3 (ball hit about 4-5 to the right of F3, not hard, but will reach them, F3 takes a step towards it, then backs off to cover bag, should have fielded it and tagged batter, instead, F4 then has to come in, and makes play, but too late, because they initially backed off when F3 took a step towards it). no runs through 3

some of team having trouble at plate, opposing pitcher is fairly fast, but wild. girls taking cuts on balls in dirt or over their heads, then watching strike 3 down the center of the zone. one inning, should have scored 3 or more, limited to one by BR error, one of the rare balls put into play, R1 goes to second, 3B coach calls her to 3B, gets 2/3 of the way there, stops dead, as they go to throw the ball to 3B. she keeps going, she most likely beats throw/tag (if they even make the catch).

innings 3 and 4, DD comes apart in circle, gets relieved in 4th, after errors lead to 2 runs scoring. first was (with two outs) catcher throwing on recovered past ball to 3B, ball goes through 3B legs, runner scores. another was on a hit, F4 gets into position, but ball gets through her, OF doesn't move until ball stops rolling. they switch P in 3rd, girl throws about 1 strike every 7 or 8 pitches, and rare strike is a lollipop. batters swinnging at balls over head, then watching meatball go by for strike 3.

in addition, with a runner on 3B, I watch a sequence where pitcher missing throw from catcher, balls rolls to outfield, then pitcher misses throw from 2B, then misses subsequent throw from catcher. this was worst instance, but plenty of other throws to pitcher go awry as well. Because of local/district rules, runner on 3B just standing there, we are not allowed to run on overthrows to pitcher from catcher! that was tying run. (no stealing home yet either, only 3 steals per inning, including past balls).

gotta try to figure out how to convince them to do what they need to do on every pitch, because you never know which pitch is gonna be the one that wins/loses the game. it could be any of them, there are no alerts beforehand. they want to wait to know there will be a play to react (like SS not covering with runner on 1B until catcher is winding up to throw, too late).

Nov 29, 2009
Your DD's team is made up of girls playing for fun. I would bet most of them don't work on their own to improve. They are not playing in the WCWS. Enjoy that your DD is healthy enough to participate, make friends and have fun. Do your best with them and adjust your expectations.

Sep 29, 2014
My vote is in for 10U (only because I think 8U had some variation of coach pitch)..ah the good ole days :)

Gotta just roll with it...I would institute for terrible pitching like you describe taking until a strike on no 3-0 swinging. Then once you are up 6-10 run swing all you want.

I remember my DD wanting to swing so bad she literally smashed a double off one hop and then next at bat tomahawking a ball over her head for a single, it was Fall ball and the other team was playing up but should not have been in the league but good times ;)

May 6, 2015
age is 10u, but few 10s, lots of 7s and 8s, might even be a few 6s in the divisions. basically, because we have no softball coach pitch (whole nother story, we used to, I coached it for 2 years), they let girls move to softball minors (10u, but most 10s play in majors) after a single year of coed baseball coach pitch.

I guess my real frustration was we had decent pitching, but I think decent pitching actually helped the other team more than us this time. our girls were swinging at stuff over their heads because I emphasize we are at the plate to hit, not get a BB, and want to it the ball. I do not want to discourage that. but it means we strike out more. our decent pitching actually gave them stuff to hit (although they did only put 3 balls in play all game).

I have no problem with girls playing for fun, but most think winning is more fun. trying to take one of our better umpires perspective, he said one team gets a W for the win, the other an L, but not for losing, for learning. but sometimes we feel like we are trying to pour the teaching from a 5 gallon bucket through a straw into their ears! softball (and baseball too) are such hard sports this young, but if you do not get them young, they do not develop passion.

oh well, like I said, mainly put it out there to vent. of course stayed positive during and after game, did shout out some instructions/corrections during game, because I want to try to give them corrections while mistakes are fresh, think it sticks better.

funny thing, love the umpire we had. when one girl (our catcher) asked for time to tie shoes, while she is doing so, he calls out to entire field and offensive dugout, everyone chekc their shoes now. kinda funny to see 20+ girls all checking their sholeaces simultaneously, but probably helps to avoid later timeouts for same reason.

Mar 8, 2016
DD played in a 10u game once that they lost 21-0. Only 2 balls were hit by the other team and no outs were recorded by our team. Luckily by rule they could only score 7 runs an inning and time ran out after 3 innings. Maybe we should start a thread on What was the worst game your dd played in. Best game of 10u rec I ever coached was the last 10u game dd played. I had 14 girls on the team and always batted them all. The last game every girl got a hit (put the ball in play and got on base). I have never rooted as hard for dd as I did for the little 6 year old girl on the team who hit the ball for the first time all year and made it to first. I called timeout and gave the ball to her. You should have seen her face.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad