Pitching too much fractured a rib

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
A friend of mine's DD is a freshman pitching on HS varsity team. The other pitcher got hurt so all the pitching duties fell to my friend's DD. This in itself isn't a big deal, 3-4 games a week, but she was also made to pitch batting practice for every practice on top of games. This weekend she told her mom she heard a pop on one of her pitches and had localized pain. Took her to an ortho thinking it was something in her shoulder and turned out to be a fractured rib.

Anyone else ever experience this? End of varsity "career" or not my DD would NOT have pitched that much and the HC would have to get over it.

Thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am so sorry. No, I have not heard of it. Some people just do not have any common sense. Why have her pitch batting practice, when he needs her? He has to throw that batting practice himself.

For those of you that have not fractured a rib, it is 6 weeks of considerable pain - just coughing or sneezing can send you to your knees.

Feb 16, 2012
To top it off the school trainer said she doesn't believe the doctor and is giving her trouble about her doctor's note!

Jun 24, 2013
My thought is the coach is an idiot. I am not sure how pitching that much broke her rib but that was too much pitching to begin with.

They need her during the games, why use her at practice?

Dec 7, 2011
I had a broken rib from golfing too much in a weekend. It can happen!

I have also heard it happen to pneumonia sufferers coughing too much.

Not surprised but I haven't heard of a pitcher getting it til now.

And YES - broken ribs SUCK!!! That and impacted wisdom teeth removal have been the most physical pain in my life.

HS = Nazi concentration camps (ya I said it)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, boy. I have taught for several years and coached for ____, and a doctor's note trumps everything. I don't care if it says she is supposed to have lemonade, every 30 minutes.

Heck, let's tape her up and have her throw.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
I have a girl on my team that has a "rib out of place". Pitching coach has her on a regiment of stretches and chiropractor is giving her regular adjustments, but as of yet we haven't been told not to pitch her. We are sitting her as much as possible, but it has crossed my mind to give her an extended rest. She really needs some time to heal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1