Pitching time vs. Field time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
At what age do you not worry about field playing time for a pitcher? DD just turned 13 and was being recruited by a 14u team with large roster (15-16 girls). She would get good amount of circle time as #2 but when not pitching may see 0 to maybe 1/2 game at a fielding position because of the large roster and being one of the youngest on the team. About 6 to 7 of the girls are in this same position but I think they are worse off because they don't even pitch or catch. This just seems too young to only pitch and not have time at another position. DD decided to tryout for other teams cuz she said she wants to have fun and sitting the bench all the time is not fun. She does not have a problem not being a starter and being a sub because it just pushes her to work harder but thinks she should be able to play the field a little more when they play 6 to 8+ games a weekend. Thoughts? Opinions?

Jul 2, 2013
At about 14U, and most definitely 16U, is when pitchers start to get the short shift. The teams get larger and the fielding play for pitchers all but stops. It becomes whether or not you are the #1, or #2 pitcher. Even the AB's start to decline and for some all but disappear.

A pitchers parents must have a firm grasp on how good their DD is at pitching. I have seen on a regular basis, for a 7 game tourney, the #2 pitcher play 3 games, no AB's, and no fielding.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This is when hitting is so important. If your pitcher dd is also a good hitter, there will be field time.

Jennie Finch would have been a full time player for just about any college team, even if she couldn't pitch a lick. Because she could rake, they always had her in the lineup.

Aug 21, 2008
China... there were other reasons Finch was in the line up each game too: she sold tickets. She sold jerseys.

I'm sure she was a good hitter. Please don't misunderstand.

Bill

Apr 11, 2012
I agree that if you can hit, you will have a spot. Working hard at that. DD is not a power hitter. Good contact hitter who puts the ball in play consistently. Hits a lot of hard ground balls so she gets on base regularly and gets a fair amount of RBIs. Just not as exciting as someone who hits the ball far. I looked up team rosters for teams in the area (and there are lots of them) and most teams only had 11-12 players. A few had 13. It was not until the 18 level that teams had 14+ players consistently. Maybe that has to do with living in an area where teams are coming out our ears.

Nov 29, 2009
You have to have a real clear vision of your daughter's abilities as a player with regards to what is best for the team. As my DD got older her pitching time increased, fielding time decreased and hitting pretty much disappeared.

I knew my DD could out-pitch most any other girl in the area. She could field her position in the circle well. However, she was not stronger than the defensive players who were behind her so it made no sense to try and put her on the field defensively. Her hitting was marginal at best. During college she got a total of 10 official at bats in 4 years. Unless your DD is really strong in other areas of the game she may be relegated pitching as her primary function on the team. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
China... there were other reasons Finch was in the line up each game too: she sold tickets. She sold jerseys.

I'm sure she was a good hitter. Please don't misunderstand.

Bill

I don't have the exact numbers but I know she was (at least at one time) in U of A's top 10 all time in HRs and RBI. She lead the team in average at least one season and HRs and RBI in at least one as well. The girl could hit. From what I can see from the end of her career, it looks like the hitting deteriorated faster then the pitching.

But I can also see why she would be in the lineup for other reasons as well, she for sure advanced the profile of the team and frankly the sport.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1