Pitching style change?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2011
My daughter (13 years old) has had a pitching coach for about the last 3 years. He teaches a style that he calls resistance...it's a drive out, push back on the glove leg (resisting), finishing in a figure 4 style as he called it. It appears to be the same that is taught in the Cat Ostermans CD which we have.

I have decided to change pitching coaches almost in mid travel ball season....which I'm thinking may not have been a wise decision. The reason for the change is that after 3+ years my daughter still doesn't throw any pitches effectively other than a fastball right down the middle.

I called around and checked with several other pitching coaches and they all teach a different style which is a drive but step style. The ball leg finishes up with the glove leg. I'm not sure how else to explain it...perhaps there is an official name for it?

My questions are:
1. Should I be switching to this style?
2. If so why?
3. Should I be doing this now in mid season?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2010
First off, no you should not be changing mid season, unless you are prepared for her not to pitch the rest of the season.

Now in regards to her pitching, has he tried to teach her spots? He he tried to teach her a change-up? If so, how often does she practise outside lessons?

May 29, 2011
@Screwball.....I think that is what I am trying to describe...the figure 4 is the old way. The new way is push off foot to stride leg.

@Lozza....he worked very very little on spots. He has 4 girls going per hour lesson. Her change-up has never worked and I was on him for the last year and a half about it not working and still nothing.

We do practice outside of lessons. She has an area in the yard to throw at and I work with her as well but I'm not an expert at pitching. I'm looking for a pitching coach that can lead us in the right direction.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
New pitching coach. NOW.

If she has been going to him for three years and has never been taught spots (and 'very little' is never) than I'm sorry to say you have wasted your money with this pitching coach. He has taught her bupkis.

I have 10 year olds who have been practising with me for six months who are starting to learn how to hit spots. Yes the spot is the centre of the glove but I've put a sticker on the catcher's glove for them to focus on. These are girls who are 4 a session and practise maybe once a week. If your daughter is going to weekly lessons and practising it's shocking he hasn't taught her the most basic of the fastballs.

The figure 4 is VERY old. So old that my mother, when teaching me in the early 90s used to criticise me for doing it. She had been pitching since the 70s and it was known not to be the best style then. The back leg should be going straight.

You might have to take a season off for pitching, but you are flat out wasting your money with her current one.

May 18, 2009
Resistance helps with speed. It is a key part of the inertia of the pitch. However if you've been going for three years and not working on spots then there's a problem. If your thinking of switching pitching coaches ask the different coaches if you and your DD can go watch a lesson where he/she has another student. If you like what they teach then use them. If not go on to the next coach. Find one that is right for both you and your DD.

Oct 22, 2009
garyt--right now have her work on her spots on her drills or if she doesn't do drills in her warm ups, hit each spot before moving back.

I don't know about the style you describe? Are the legs finishing close to each other? or alongside each other like in a fielding position?
Close to each other may indicate a step style of pitch, and alongside each other maybe a close the door style.

I would go visit a lesson and see what is being taught.

IF you do not want to waste your time and money on the old coach for the rest of the season and you find another instructor you like, ask them to just work spots and change-ups with your DD until the season is over, use the fall for the mechanical changeover.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom