Pitching speeds?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If if I recall, JAD, that chart was put together by her dad?

-W
I have no idea where that chart came from, I just did a Google search for 'Jenny Finch + pitch speed' and came up with the link provided. Just thought it was an interesting comparison by age since Jenny is recognized as one of the games elite pitchers.

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
Balls that move... Went to a coaching clinic this year where several D-1 tournament coaches were speaking. One of the coaches showed the spread sheet that she uses to track every pitch. Fastball was NOT even on the list of pitches to be tracked. I asked the coach about the lack of a "fastball" on her list her response echoed by the entire panel was "we want every pitch to move".

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If if I recall, JAD, that chart was put together by her dad?

-W

Yea, usually the more beers a dad has the faster his DD pitches. Met a guy once in Florida, his DD was throwing close to 70 in 14u after a few rounds at the bar, saw her the next day and she was lucky with a hurricane behind her to hit 55. Pitcher's dads are nuts. With the exception of me of coarse. :rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Balls that move... Went to a coaching clinic this year where several D-1 tournament coaches were speaking. One of the coaches showed the spread sheet that she uses to track every pitch. Fastball was NOT even on the list of pitches to be tracked. I asked the coach about the lack of a "fastball" on her list her response echoed by the entire panel was "we want every pitch to move".

If you can't make a FB move you have no place in this sport. Call it whatever you want, with a windmill a " tail " on a FB is like potatoes without gravy.

liviking

Liviking
Jun 17, 2010
Long Island ,NY
Wow ! That was a great chart Starsuffer ! I have never seen anyone post the arm speed with arm length in a chart like that . Thanks ! Are you measuring from the middle of the shoulder to the 2nd knuckle on the middle finger ? Just curious ! My DD is 11 y/o turning 12 next month , 5'2" , 100 lbs and a eating machine ! She throws between 44-50 and has a high of 53 . She uses the Jennie Finch chart for her goals . Only has two pitches , FB and CU . PC works on location and technique . Her speed varies so much because she throws a bullet spin most of the time . Slowly breaking her of that habit with some great advice from this forum ,Thanks again Amy ! Hope that helps .

Jul 26, 2010
This is why kids have to research the coaches for the teams they're applying for at the college level. If the teams pitcher does not throw any fastballs on record, then the applicant needs to list "peel drop" instead of fastball and get used to the nomenclature change if they get on the team.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Starsnuff, I understand what you are saying, but the chart creates a false impression that pitching speed has a simple relation to arm length. (I agree that someone with longer arms will, generally, be able to throw the ball faster than someone with shorter arms--I disagree that there is a simple relationship between arm length and pitching speed.)

You are using the the distance form point of rotation to hand*angular rotation to come up with the speed.

There are a few problems with this approach:

(1) The upper arm-forearm-wrist-fingers form a linked lever. The interaction of all these linked levers creates a motion that is ovular, not circular.
(2) The IR of the forearm isn't in the same plane as that of the arm.

The final problem is bio-mechanical--there seems to be a limit as to how fast the hand can move irregardless of the size, strength, or quickness of the person throwing the ball. If you look at baseball, pitchers top out at 100 MPH. The record is help by Aroldis Chapman, 6'4", who hit 103 to 105 MPH. Randy Johnson, who was 6" taller than Chapman, threw around 100 MPH.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole