Pitching speeds from Champions Showcase skills challenge in Marietta, GA Nov 2012

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So gvm & altlanta it sounds like you are close to the Barnhill's in some way.

Question - does both Kelly & the dad know they might be running into this IP challenge in the future?

If they both know about this and schools still want to scoop her up then I say "more power to the Barnhills". Then in the same breath I would say to that "hiring coach" that I better not see him/her get up out of the dugout to complain when the umpires start playing their stupid inconsistent games with calling IP's. Then the thing I most do not want to see is yet another young and very competative athelete get completely demoralized by this broken part of the game.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
So gvm & altlanta it sounds like you are close to the Barnhill's in some way.

Question - does both Kelly & the dad know they might be running into this IP challenge in the future?

If they both know about this and schools still want to scoop her up then I say "more power to the Barnhills". Then in the same breath I would say to that "hiring coach" that I better not see him/her get up out of the dugout to complain when the umpires start playing their stupid inconsistent games with calling IP's. Then the thing I most do not want to see is yet another young and very competative athelete get completely demoralized by this broken part of the game.

i never even heard of this girl until this thread opened? then i looked up her profile and watched a video of her? but as usual as soon as a elite pitcher comes around and starts throwing the ball harder than some of the other girls(aka dd's)? everybody wants to cut her up? gotta be illegal?whats the distance on the revfire? replant? the ball is leaving this girls hand at 73 mph !!!!! CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE THE HARD WORK THAT THIS GIRL HAS PUT IN? also on her profile it says her GPA is 4.39?and no wonder her dad doesn't want any video posted. and it's to bad because i would love to hear what drills and training he was doing with his dd when she was a 10u,12u,14u? i never heard of her till the other day but, the ball is leaving her hand at 73 mph !!!

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
As Amy in AZ pointed out, Kelly is 5' 8'' tall, average build. Watching her in person, the two things you notice right away are her explosion off the rubber and her extremely loud grunting (think Monica Seles). Talking to Jeter, her dad, it's not surprising that she has many full-ride offers. He indicated as of right now she would love to go to Stanford. Of course, she's just a tenth grader so that is subject to change. I took some slow-motion video of her pitching motion at 300 fps but promised him I would NOT upload it anywhere.

That is too bad but understandable. I would love to see it myself...without a need to nick pick the young lady. What she is doing is extraordinary.

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
i never even heard of this girl until this thread opened? then i looked up her profile and watched a video of her? but as usual as soon as a elite pitcher comes around and starts throwing the ball harder than some of the other girls(aka dd's)? everybody wants to cut her up? gotta be illegal?whats the distance on the revfire? replant? the ball is leaving this girls hand at 73 mph !!!!! CAN YOU EVEN IMAGINE THE HARD WORK THAT THIS GIRL HAS PUT IN? also on her profile it says her GPA is 4.39?and no wonder her dad doesn't want any video posted. and it's to bad because i would love to hear what drills and training he was doing with his dd when she was a 10u,12u,14u? i never heard of her till the other day but, the ball is leaving her hand at 73 mph !!!

I completely agree with you that it is absolutely amazing for her to throw 73 mph. She had to put in a ton of work to get to that point. I would love to talk to them and find out what they did to get to that point. My guess is that it is just good ol' fashioned hard work!!!

In know way did I want to discredit her by talking about her feet being illegal. I apologize if it came off that way. I will say that this is a groing epidemic that is by no means the kids fault...

May 18, 2009
How much of the speed is from hardwork and how much is from genetics? I wonder if she plays other sports and dominates in them to?

Apr 14, 2010
I garauntee you that you don't get to throwing 73 without an incredible amount of work. I wouldn't be surprised to hear if I heard she pitches 5 days a week!

We played against this young lady a couple of years ago and she was throwing consistently at 68mph. she is a strong pitcher and can hit the ball as well. We lost that game because our bats could not connect. She was consistently crowhopping as you all would call it. I'm not sure thats what it was but her drag foot was not touching the ground. When we pointed it out to the umpire and he warned her about it she could not throw a strike. After a couple of pitches she returned to her style and sat our batters down. We told the umpires several times but they would do nothing about after a couple of complaints. I think he just enjoyed watching her pitch at that level. And probably didn't want to hear any more complaining from the loosing team! :rolleyes: I later heard that there were other complaints and she has been working on eliminating that bad habit. I hope she continues to try to correct it. She is a great ball player and will represent Georgia good in college.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
How much of the speed is from hardwork and how much is from genetics?

Genetics have a HUGE amount to do with speed and effectiveness in pitching and hitting.

Some genetics are passed on from generations that are seen, some are hidden genetics that appear in a single sibling. Long story short gifted athelets have the complete package or puzzle. Strong core, strong lower body, explosive twitch muscle fibers, coordination, and their personal mechanics to utilize every ounce of their energy.

Like Lincecum, 5'7 170, "the freak" strides 129% of his height ( most BB pitchers it's 75-85% ). His smaller frame he learned to put all his power in his mechanical body moving forward and his arm is just along for the ride.

I read in a book some 15 years ago that the human body can only improve its fast twitch muscles 30% of your natural genetic composition. Again, most successful pitchers are "born" and then developed. The more you are born with, the "30%" adds on top of that.

Jul 26, 2010

Melky Cabrera was considered a great hitter until he got caught cheating

General Patraeus was considered a great leader . . . until he got caught cheating (on his wife)

Danny Almonte was considered a great pitcher . . . until he got caught cheating (being 14 playing in 12u LL world series)

Bill Belichek was considered a great coach. . . until he got caught cheating

Lance Armstrong was considered a great athlete. . . until he got caught cheating.

It's ok for people to have standards.

-W

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi