Pitching speeds from Champions Showcase skills challenge in Marietta, GA Nov 2012

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
If you saw the original picture I posted and you can think of a way she can deliver without replanting I will PayPal ya $5.

But seriously I am willing to make a friendly wager at low stakes (since this is just based on one picture)

on some of the pitchers i see in video. they leap off the mound and their energy carries them quiet a distance. but i think re-planting is when their push foot lands and then they push off it again? i have seen pitchers do that,but i have seen pitchers just continue their pitch without that 2nd push off? and no dought everyone can have a different opinion? but when i see a top pitcher,i try to figure out what she is doing right so i can teach that to my dd. i don't try to prove that she is cheating? so the answer is no i don't want to spend my time trying to find something wrong with this girl. i want to know what she is doing right,that makes her such a great pitcher,ok?

Dec 7, 2011
Wow bh really makes it clear and makes it sound easy to change (but we know it's not easy)

My only lasting thought here on getting speed as this girl does is maybe try to get the initial opening of the hips more open (as I was suggesting before,more open towards second rather than just open towards third)

Apr 5, 2010
Is that the complete list of pitching speeds?
26 pitchers and at least 13 are in the 60's?
Check that gun. Seems it was a bit on the fast side.
60's isnt the normal.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Is that the complete list of pitching speeds?
26 pitchers and at least 13 are in the 60's?
Check that gun. Seems it was a bit on the fast side.
60's isnt the normal.

I cannot comment on the accuracy of the radar gun used, but to clarify, these pitching speeds are from the Champions Elite Skills Showcase. Participants paid $195 to 'showcase' their skills on Friday night, before the tournament, for the college coaches in attendance. These are NOT pitching speeds from actual tournament play. Regrettably, the list I was provided did not include the graduation year of the pitcher, but there were a number of junior and seniors in the mix, and at $195 each, I imagine only pitchers who thought they would 'benefit' from having pitching speeds posted, participated in the event!

Champions Fast Pitch Academy - News

Oct 22, 2009
So I would bet a shiny new dollar that here is and will be her story:
1. Her original PC does not know enough to teach a motion to steer clear of crow-hopping.
2. She accelled in youth SB.
3. With this success nobody ever saw the need to tell her she's illegal.
4. She may have been confronted at infrequent times that she is illegal but since by this time she was "acknowledged" as a talent and/or she was just doing Showcase tourneys no umpire ever got the guts to call her out.
5. With throwing 70mph she will automatically get a big D1 spot.
6. She will pound through her first regular season being "the amazing freshman".
7 Only to get confronted by the inconsistency of NCAA application of rules in the World Series and illegal pitch her team right out of the Series never to be seen again becasue, I believe, especially in the case of crow-hopping, it is not an easy timing fix to deal with at 18 yrs old for the first time.....

Shame cuz it's apparent she's an amazing athelete.....

She may be able to fix it.

I've had a student since she was 12, that I fussed at forever about her crow-hop. It was a tiny one that never got called and she was stubborn as all get out and wouldn't conform. I always told her the stories about how "one of these days", and she would not listen.
Flash forward to she's in college now--long story...red shirted, looking for a new school.....she's at an exposure tournament and the ump calls time out and goes over to talk to her. Tells her he's not going to call her crow-hop, but she might not get so lucky with another ump. She finally got the wake-up call and she busted her butt and fixed that hop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi