Pitching speeds from Champions Showcase skills challenge in Marietta, GA Nov 2012

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
If you look at all the good "skippy's" they all get their recoil set up HUGE. They appear to get so "open" that their belly-buttons face 2nd base!

I am not suggesting this IS the reason for faster "skippy's" but I can't find any other clue.

I noticed that the faster "vertically-challenged" pitchers out there that I have seen in my nation-wide travelling all seem to be skippy's.

That is true. The trail leg knee at open is often turned beyond third and more towards short and the shoe laces are not facing home which is a common teaching for the drag food.

Jul 26, 2010
As a different point of discussion other that the replant I for one am most curious as to how she generates speeds of 68 - 70. Anyone know how big she is?

Pitches to the outside edge seem to be the highest velocity.

What happens in the Kinetic Chain that allows this player to throw 67-70 when most of her peers at the showcase were 6 mph slower. That is a secret sauce I would like the recipe for.

Were they using a gun or a revfire? Revfire measures speed by timing, so the pitchers that have a longer stride or skip will appear "faster". In essence, the ball goes from their release to the catchers mitt in a shorter period of time, but since their release is closer to the catcher, the actual "speed" numbers are skewed.

If they were using a gun, then I've no idea. We'd need some good video at a high frame rate to figure it out.

-W

Jul 26, 2010
That is true. The trail leg knee at open is often turned beyond third and more towards short and the shoe laces are not facing home which is a common teaching for the drag food.

It doesn't matter. Their pitch does not begin until they land and replant, anything before that is non-consequential.

-W

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
I honestly think most kids that pitch illegally do not know they are illegal, parents as well.
Our family is going thru the transition from illegal to legal as we speak, it's not easy.(crow hop)
Pitching 80% of the innings for her team the last 2 years (2nd year 12 and first year 14),
she was not called once for an IP. I realized she was illegal when I discovered this site last year
and confronted her PC about this. PC said it's not a problem and probably won't be called. PC was
half correct, she didn't get called on it. Now try telling a 13 year old that she is pitching illegally
when she pitched 2 full years without being called.

It's definately a problem of IP's not being called, and PC's and parent's not knowing the rules, or knowing
the rules and they don't care because it won't be called. And if it is called by 1 ump, the other 50 ump's they
see throughout the year won't call it. If I didn't care about the rules, it would have been easy for me to be
a parent with blinder's and said she is fine, she never get's called on it. Whether it's right or wrong, coaches
and athelete's alike in every sport have bent/broken rules to gain an advantage on the competition. MOST
pitcher's in our sport do not crow hop or leap with the idea in mind that they are gaining an advantage on
the competition, they were either taught wrong or picked up a habit that wasn't fixed.

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
I agree with Roscoe. Alot of times the player / parents don't even know. The unfortunate part is that most of these players are seeing pitching coaches that don't surface and help solve these issues. I feel as a pitching coach you have the obligation to surface this to a kid when you see it.

The other issue is that around here Umps are more likely to call a kid for leaping than they are Crow hopping/replanting. In my opinion, you gain a much larger advantage by Crow hopping/replanting than you do leaping.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
All that is true about illegal etc etc...BUT

How does she throw so hard? It is a gun. in the video earlier the guy using the gun is calling out MPH.

I am suggesting as one possibility since I notice outside pitches thrown hardest that part of the answer might be internal rotation principles often described here on this site. The use of the forearm and wrist in a very efficient way compared to many others. It is not as pronounced on inside pitches and rise balls and screws. thus they are slower.

Dec 7, 2011
Roscoe I feel for ya and it would break me to see your DD's eye's being told she's doing something wrong that was never mentioned before..... I have seen it way too many times....

We are a community of enthusiasts - let's keep fighting to get this ambiguous area cleared up once and for all.

Either they all can crop-hop or none. Bottom line.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
kelly barnhill,great job !!! your hard work and effort has turned you into an amazing pitcher. congradulations !

AtlantaHitDoc

Coaching and Loving it!
Dec 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
As Amy in AZ pointed out, Kelly is 5' 8'' tall, average build. Watching her in person, the two things you notice right away are her explosion off the rubber and her extremely loud grunting (think Monica Seles). Talking to Jeter, her dad, it's not surprising that she has many full-ride offers. He indicated as of right now she would love to go to Stanford. Of course, she's just a tenth grader so that is subject to change. I took some slow-motion video of her pitching motion at 300 fps but promised him I would NOT upload it anywhere.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
As Amy in AZ pointed out, Kelly is 5' 8'' tall, average build. Watching her in person, the two things you notice right away are her explosion off the rubber and her extremely loud grunting (think Monica Seles). Talking to Jeter, her dad, it's not surprising that she has many full-ride offers. He indicated as of right now she would love to go to Stanford. Of course, she's just a tenth grader so that is subject to change. I took some slow-motion video of her pitching motion at 300 fps but promised him I would NOT upload it anywhere.

well that's to bad about the video. because she is doing something right,and it would be great to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi