Pitching Speed (brag post)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Cool deal. We have a local 15 yo pitcher that did hers this year. She is in 63-65 mph range. You just don't see many that fast, that young. Good luck.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Being a bucket rider for my dd at practices, has anyone had any luck with the glove mounted radar? I guess I could always use a gun a the games, I just don't want to look like one of "those parents"!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
No, I have only ever used a gun. It's not easy using a gun and catching at the same time so either PC or DW help.

I'm sure I have seen threads here about what kind of radar to use. Did you search for "radar"?

Oct 22, 2009
Being a bucket rider for my dd at practices, has anyone had any luck with the glove mounted radar? I guess I could always use a gun a the games, I just don't want to look like one of "those parents"!

I have a dad that uses one. He was yelling at his DD for pitching so slow all the time, I finally brought out my gun and his was normally 3-4 mph slower than my gun was saying. Sometimes it would be right on.

Jun 5, 2011
i've come to find a bushnell gun to be 3-4 mph slower than a jugs. We ran it beside the usa scouts gun and was consistently 3-4 slow, so add your 3 mph and she maybe throwing harder than that 64

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles

The radar glove only measures the last 3 feet of the pitch (unlike a radar gun which measures from ball release) so the instructions say to add 1 mph to the reading for every 7 feet the ball is thrown. A reading of 45mph for a pitcher from 30 feet release (factoring in the stride from 35 foot pitching plate) would actually be around 49mph (45+4).

One problem I see with the radar glove is that if the ball is not caught around the strike zone it may not produce a reading or if you move the catchers glove back or forward when catching the ball it may decrease or increase the speed reading since the radar is moving with the glove causing inaccurate readings by a few mph.

Overall, for a relatively inexpensive radar device it works fine once you get used to it. I only bring it out occasionally (every few months or so) mainly to check DD's speed difference between her fastball and c/u.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06