Pitching Shoes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
We seem to play on some fields... that are never really broken up. They have a layer of dust over a rock hard surface. I don't know what the red dirt is...but its real fine on top. It creates a slippery surface...and affects dd's ability stride and ability to grab that stride foot into it.

She wears Ringor Diamnond Gem protect toes non metal and I am wondering if metal cleats would be better.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
My DD switched to the metal spikes as a freshman in HS. She tells me that the fields that you describe are not as difficult as they were in rubber cleats.

If your DD can wear the spikes I highly recommend she do so. It does take a little while to get used to them, so at practice only until she is ready.

Jul 26, 2010
Metal cleats are superior in every way to plastic, but not allowed in many younger divisions. I believe the rule for ASA is 16u and higher for metal cleats. High School rules also allow them.

Honestly though, it's best to practice on what you have, the other team's pitcher has to pitch there too, are they complaining? There may be mechanical issues keeping her from digging in. It's much easier for a kid to say "I'm slipping, these cleats suck", then it is for her to recognize that she's landing on her toes like a ballerina. Have any video?

-W

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Thanks Coach-n-Dad...I think I will order them and have her practice with them.

Starsnuffer...no recent video and she adjust to the field. She does complain about these specific fields...but doesn't complain about her shoes...she loves her current ones and goes about her business in the game. She pitched a no hitter last night on it... at an away game. My concern is injury as she slipped twice...once all the way to landing on the tush last night. Its only this specific type of field that is an issue. Our local fields aren't made of this dirt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish