Pitching screens

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Be certain you understand that there is a big difference between batting practice and pitching practice. As a coach, you should pitch bp. Ask an asst or a catcher to catch.
In pitching practice, the pitcher is developing her skills to place the pitch in spots, mixing speeds or spins.....bp is never the platform for that.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
After rereading the op, I'm curious if you were asking about a protective screen for the pitcher to stay behind and not a net that sits behind home plate to collect balls.

Aug 30, 2015
Umm.....$149 where?

http://www.amazon.com/Bownet-Baseball-Softball-Portable-Net/dp/B003NRV8V2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1441299906&sr=1-1&keywords=bownet&pebp=1441299975233&perid=1ETTEY7A0RD0MPN8VQ37

Yea. . . $149 for the sock net and frame combo only. Pitching net is a bit more complicated and pricey as they don't sell the pitch-thru in a combo set. You have to buy the pitching net separate for $80, then the frame separate for $105 or so.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Be certain you understand that there is a big difference between batting practice and pitching practice. As a coach, you should pitch bp. Ask an asst or a catcher to catch.
In pitching practice, the pitcher is developing her skills to place the pitch in spots, mixing speeds or spins.....bp is never the platform for that.

I "throw" batting practice twice a week, behind a pitching screen about 25' from home plate. Not sure how fast, slingshot, not good enough to throw full windmill. Trying to get alittle more work in for the pitchers, and some good batting practice for the hitters. The net i have, you throw around, the pitchers dont really care for it, so i'm gonna make another. Seems like the Nets with the holes in them may be what I'm looking for, pitch through type. But I was interested also if you guys also use your pitchers for bp.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting. ..looks like Power net is equivalent to the Bownet but at considerably less cost. ..Gotta love capitalism. ..

Very similar, but not exactly equal. The Powernet metal frame uses tubing that is smaller diameter and thinner wall than Bownet (or the Primed version). What that means in terms of long-term durability, I'm not sure. From my observations in the past few months, the Powernet is getting the job done with no structural issues. The net itself seems to be equivalent between Bownet, Powernet, and Primed. Bownet and Powernet have very good customer service and replacement parts are available. Primed, not so much.

Dec 11, 2010
I don't have any experience with a player pitching from behind a screen

Another option is a bownet flat top. Never used it but it is heavier construction and net and the leg is offset so you pitch around side ov it but the leg isn't in the way. I looked at one and it looked like it would work well. That might be really good for a player to pitch behind but I don't really know. I just see a lot of possible problems to worry about with your team pitchers pitching and I really never wanted my dd doing it but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
As a coach, I pitch from behind the screen. I have to as I like my teeth, shins and face where they currently are and since Im getting a little older and maybe a tad slower on the reflexes the screen is my friend. As far as pitchers throwing, if we do have them throw any BP or PP Live we never use a net. They are back at 43' and need to field their spot. Plus they are not old and slow !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand