Pitching question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
I was recently asked "why is a softball pitched underhand and the baseball is thrown overhand?". I admit I have never looked into it. Just accepted it and never questioned why? Does anyone know the answer?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Baseball is not all thrown overhand, example my nephew throws submarine style.

I asked this same question long time ago to some older guys at a tournament in Florida. They said softball was never meant to be competitive, it was a way for ball players to play ball in the winter.....indoors. More players ( rover ) smaller field, bigger ball, no mound. They said it was more like hard toss from the "rubber" than the windmill we know today.

If I remember correct they said the big change came in the 30's - 40's when it became competitive and the windmill was used to maximize the efficiency/speed of the delivery.

This is only what I learned from these 2 tournament directors, who looked like they might have played in the 30-40's. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thanks for such an in depth answer. I appreciate you taking the time to do the research and come up with a serious response.

I could not help myself.....besides, if you want 'research' done on a subject, I would suggest doing it yourself! I will help you get started....Google

Jan 27, 2010
JAD, I followed your suggestion and found the answer to my question on google. Starsnuffer, I went to your link to ASA but it did not say why but told of the history of the beginning of softball. Thanks to both of you. Now I know and when someone asks that question again, I will tell them to google it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Softball was invented in Chicago to be played indoors in gymnasiums. Because the space was so limited, the pitcher had to stand closer to the batter than in baseball. If the pitcher threw overhand, the ball (it was actually a boxing glove tied into a ball) would be too difficult to hit with the bat (which was a broom stick).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan