Pitching Mechanics- Practice vs Game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2014
NWI
At another hurdle that I've been unable to help my DD get past so far. Basically, I've got two different pitchers, the one I see when her and I practice and the one that comes out on game day. In game situations she lacks explosion off the plate and short-steps her stride. Gets away with it against lower level competition but gets hit hard occasionally against the better teams.

I've asked her why and says she doesn't know and isn't aware she's doing it. It's like some subconscious switch gets flipped. I've tried different cues like sprinter position, push hard, up and out with (stride leg) all to no avail. Even had her do a dry run to get stride landing point before warmup throws in-game. I'm sure some of you have come across something similar. Need some advice.

First video is an example practice session, the later was from team BP yesterday.

http://youtu.be/3xYAsR2ZrCw
http://youtu.be/l4BWcpeZ13I

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
A couple of real easy things that will put her in better position, Get her to slow that herky jerky wind up down. She throws her hands rear ward so hard on the down side of the wind up she almost throws herself out of balance and rearward...She needs a lot of work, Start with slowing all of that STYLE down!

Good luck!

Slow that down and then come back!

Ball Game

Banned
May 8, 2015
Second one is better.

Look at her rear foot its pointing way out.

Her arm is super straight and her hand is behind the ball. Work on the orientation of her hand. It should be palm up or facing outward!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In too big a rush at the beginning of her pitch, only to slow down toward the end (her release).

I would say she needs to calm down quite a bit at the beginning and try to get all of the energy culminating at release.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
In too big a rush at the beginning of her pitch, only to slow down toward the end (her release).

I would say she needs to calm down quite a bit at the beginning and try to get all of the energy culminating at release.

This is good advice my dd struggle with this as well, she tries to come out super fast and hard only to slow down at the end. Slow to fast is the cue I give it seems to help her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2013
I like the cue "slow to load, then explode".

Don't listen to Screwball (she has a screw loose). Pitchers need to get circle time to work on all the things they practice on during pitching practice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish