Pitching from @ Base to Home ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Wow....

We do long toss, but only once per week. We start at the plate and move back 2-3 steps each time she successfully gets it to the catcher on the full. The drill ends when she doesn't get it to the catcher twice in a row. Takes maybe 5 minutes at most I guess. And we only do it once, and we try to keep it at about 2/3 power.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have a coach in our park coaching 9-10 All-Stars. Having a girl pitch from second base for 2 hours to Home to improve her accuracy ? Please tell me this is Crazy ?. She is a tall girl with unbelievable talent and Her Mom is PIZZED ! to say the least. Her arm is jello and sore before she even went to bed !

Just a couple of thoughts...
1) Long toss has NOTHING to do with accuracy.
2) Long toss can be an effective tool to help increase leg drive.
3) 10-15 throws is usually enough.
4) If she is not used to working hard, going to bed sore would not be uncommon.
5) There is a difference between being sore and sharp pain.
If I went to the gym for two hours I would expect to be "sore", but I would not expect a "sharp pain" in my shoulder/elbow/ect.

Nov 18, 2013
We have a coach in our park coaching 9-10 All-Stars. Having a girl pitch from second base for 2 hours to Home to improve her accuracy ? Please tell me this is Crazy ?. She is a tall girl with unbelievable talent and Her Mom is PIZZED ! to say the least. Her arm is jello and sore before she even went to bed !

Curious if you're getting this information from observing the coach or just what the mother is claiming. It sounds pretty far fetched.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Long toss is for building strength and to force them to use their legs. Has very little to do with accuracy. 2 hours of constant pitching from any distance is ludicrous. Especially at 80 feet. That coach is a moron and is doing more harm than good. I'm a big fan of long toss in moderation. We take 5 steps back and pitch 2, then 5 more steps back and pitch 2...we repeat this until she can no longer get the ball to me in the air. Then it's 5 steps up and 1 pitch, and repeat until she's at the rubber etc....

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I believe there is some benefit for control. Hitting your spots at 80 feet makes hitting them at 43 seem easy.

Sep 2, 2013
I really don't know how many Pitches were thrown but was told as I posted it. Knowing I had never heard of such , I questioned it to myself the time but 10 -15 would have been a limit I would think . Asking how would this help ?.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I really don't know how many Pitches were thrown but was told as I posted it. Knowing I had never heard of such , I questioned it to myself the time but 10 -15 would have been a limit I would think . Asking how would this help ?.

In theory, it builds strength. Too much (which isn't very much), and you're doing more damage than good.

Feb 7, 2013
I believe there is some benefit for control. Hitting your spots at 80 feet makes hitting them at 43 seem easy.

Not sure doing this drill to improve accuracy from 35 feet will work because you will need to release the ball later than normal to get a big enough arc on the pitch to hit your spot from 80 feet away for 10u. That is why when DD has done this drill she is just trying to get it somewhere around the back stop, behind home plate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207