Pitching from @ Base to Home ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 2, 2013
We have a coach in our park coaching 9-10 All-Stars. Having a girl pitch from second base for 2 hours to Home to improve her accuracy ? Please tell me this is Crazy ?. She is a tall girl with unbelievable talent and Her Mom is PIZZED ! to say the least. Her arm is jello and sore before she even went to bed !

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't have a 10 yo student that could do that. And if they did, 2 would be the maximum thrown. Most 10s can't throw 80 feet, overhand.

Feb 7, 2013
Yes, crazy. You sure she is pitching for two hours from 2b. The reason I ask is my DD on occasion has done a drill where she starts at the pitching plate and throws one pitch and then moves back three or four feet, pitches again and then moves back three or 4 feet, until she gets past 2b. She then slowly reverses the distance moving up 3 or 4 feet until she is back at the pitching plate. But the goal wasn't accuracy, she would try to hit the back stop, but more to use her body properly to generate the leg drive and arm whip to get it that distance.

By the way, my DD has been pitching for 6 years and she has never continually practiced pitching for 2 straight hours. That's a boatload of pitches for a 10 year old. Well north of 300 pitches in two hours from 70 feet?

Apr 12, 2015
I would imagine pitching from that distance for any amount of time would degrade her accuracy rather than improve it. Sounds to me like this "coach" googled some drills, but has no real understanding of how or why to implement them.

Sep 29, 2014
NOOOO! First I am skeptical, I don't think I could pitch for 2 hours from 2B to home and as Amy said I don't know any 9 or 10 yr olds that could probably do it anyway. Pitching from that distance should be part of a routine pattern or drill like Rocketech described, where it is done for a short period of time. IF true after about 10 -15 minutes (30 or 40 pitches or so) my DD would be walking off the field and the coach and I would be having a little chat, that given another thread should probably not be within earshot of any girls.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Some guy(s) got an all-star player probably better than anyone they have ever coached before and did something really stupid. I would ask the HC to have leave their DD alone pitching for the rest of the season, if they want to know specific drills talk to the parent.

Let us know when the players do 50 laps around the park to warmup before practices or the games. Sounds like it is worth paying more attention then normal for a little while on everything they do.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
My 12U DD will throw half a dozen from that distance while warming up, but no more. We used to see a coach who had them throwing from about 75 feet just to build arm strength, but no more than 10-15 pitches per lesson, and not for accuracy. 2 hours from that distance honestly sounds impossible. Who has that kind of arm strength/elasticity?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog