Pitching coach regulars?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I have always looked at the term 'Pitching Instructor' as someone who teaches pitching to any student, any age, from any team or organization.

I have always looked at the term 'Pitching Coach' as someone who teaches pitchers for a single team or organization.

But thats me.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
IMO, a pitching instructor is someone who "can teach" someone the basics of pitching........A pitching "coach" is an expert at the skill, no matter what level they competed, in both the physical and mental areas..........And someone who actually studies the skill deeper then "what they've experienced themselves"..........

And I'll tell you right now........IMO.......having actually have pitched more then just a few games..........More then just a few seasons........And pitched at the "tournament level"........REGARDLESS of the level.........Is a HUGE advantage in teaching both the physical and mental sides. I don't care that Hal only pitched at the A level in National tournaments........I don't care that I never threw past the regional level........

There is no substitute for that kind of insight, training and pressure packed decision making..........

The difference between myself, hal, bill, doug, and even Mr. X for that matter, and those who never actually pitched is...........WE CAN "FEEL" when someone is correctly delivering the ball and when someone isn't...........

My "feeling" about my students progress and shortfalls and what the problems may be cannot be duplicated by a non-pitcher pitching coach.........They have NO IDEA what it REALLY FEELS LIKE to throw a ball underhand...........CORRECTLY vs. INCORRECTLY........

May 10, 2010
BM I agree totally with you. I consider myself an instructor and Have had several students go on to pitch in college. I am all about mechanics that do not cause injury. There are not many options where we live so what I teach is from many hours of research from former players and videos. I am also smart enough to know my limitations also. When looking for a PC this is what I ask myself. Do I want a former pitcher that has had injuries from pitching, someone who thinks there way is the only way, or 1 that is willing to work with what my dd is capable of ?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
To be an effective 'Teacher', you must be able to communicate on different levels. Teaching and effectyively communicating with an 8-year-old is way different than a 14-year-old. You must teach them the same thing but how you go about and explain thing makes all the difference in the world. I have seen instructors that were very good working with high school pitchers but were just awful with the very young students.

I have always believed (and my students have proved me correct) that when a new pitcher steps into the circle for the first time, whatever confidence they have at that point is the confidence instilled in them by their instructor. Even the youngest student can sense the confidence in not only what you are saying but HOW you say it. I have seen students of local instructors go out in a game and it is easy to see what young pitchers have confidence and which ones dont.

The level of self confidence in a winning pitcher's game is HUGE. It is much bigger than most realize.

If you take your daughter to an instructor, think about what they say , how they explain it and you, as the parent, will also sense that level of confidence too.

YOU WILL KNOW if an instructor was a winning pitcher, you will know it very quickly. So will your kid.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am!

Sorry I've been MIA. My high school season ended Tuesday. When you've only got the morning every day to do other work, extracurricular internet activities kind of fall by the wayside.

Jan 25, 2011
Hey Hal, I have to say that I took a phrase from you and applied it to my dd's pitching. She keeps dropping her hand out early of the glove and they were not going out together. So I used your "push the glove" phrase and it clicked for her. So this goes with your post about communication.

Jan 25, 2011
I am!

Sorry I've been MIA. My high school season ended Tuesday. When you've only got the morning every day to do other work, extracurricular internet activities kind of fall by the wayside.

I hope your H.S. season went better then ours. But nice to see you again. You getting use to Pittsburgh?

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I hope your H.S. season went better then ours. But nice to see you again. You getting use to Pittsburgh?

Thanks! And yes, I am quite settled in Pittsburgh. The high school season was rough; we didn't have a JV team, so we had two inexperienced freshman pitchers battling through some really tough AAAA varsity competition. But hopefully they'll understand what they need to work on for next year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321