pitching coach conflict

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I realize it's obvious to say "leave the team" but this team is how we were hoping to get to the best tournaments, be seen by schools, etc. Any team we'd join now is going to be mediocre at best and not playing the top tournaments.

This was why I approached it differently for the OP. For me, I would have had that talk soon as he said "you're going to use our PC". If he was hard of "hearing" what I felt was best for my DD..............I might be posting on DFP from a different area of town for a few days. :)

dbd3a79f78fbc5e262d163b322245306.jpg
[/IMG]

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have a thought and a story on this topic.

First the thought: you wanted her on this team so she could gain exposure and get a scholarship. For her to do that she has to pitch her best. You know what she can do if she stays with Bill. You don't know what she will do with someone else (although from what you say of the teaching she will likely do worse in my opinion). But if she gets exposure and tanks the window will close most likely. Then what's the point? Stick with what you know. If your daughter is that good someone will want her no questions asked or changes demanded.

Now for the story. A couple of years ago I had a pitching student who was doing well. She had some coaching issues on the team she was on and changed teams mid-season. All the new team's pitchers were going to a different pitching coach - a woman who had pitched in the WCWS by the way - so her mom decided to go with the flow and take her there too.

A couple of months later I get a frantic call from her mom. She had a tournament coming up that weekend and can't find the strike zone. Apparently she'd been struggling ever since she started seeing the new coach, who was teaching all the usual myths - hello elbow, close the door and so on. I got other fixed up and she's been back with me, kicking butt ever since. So be careful with changing. It could make things a lot worse.

Jan 27, 2010
If she was recruited by this team, then she must have been doing well. I personally would not be pressured to change PCs. As someone posted earlier "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. My DD was faced with the same situation many years ago when travel ball teams in our area were scarce: the HC also thought he was a PC and insisted on keeping all the pitchers after practice so he could screw their mechanics up and confuse them until they were not able to throw a strike. I told him that I was seeing a PC that was highly sought after at the time and I was driving 2 hrs. weekly and did not want him to change what she was doing. She was also a shortstop and he knew it so he wanted to keep her on the team. As mentioned, there were not a lot of choices and she wanted to play ball.
The team was competeitive but our pitching was not up to par. He refused to pitch her. The other parents saw her pitching at practice and called a meeting after one of the practices and asked the HC why my DD was not pitching. He was put on the spot and told them he would give her a shot at the next tournament. The toughest team in our area was her first chance to show her ability. Before the game, he was determined to have her as uptight as possible. He told her if she walked a batter he was taking her out. The pitch selection was clearly intended to make her fail and she gave into the pressure. He felt he proved his point to the parents.
Later in the tournament, one of the pitchers hit 6 batters and he had to take her out and put in another pitcher. She couldn't throw a strike. He called my DD over and gave her the ball. He was so frustrated with his pitchers that he turned over calling pitchs to the AC. I had been telling her that she needed to be ready if she were called on to pitch and she was. From that day forward, she was the starting pitcher and never looked back. The HC ended up eating alot of crow.
If your DD was recruited for her pitching; I believe this HC was not the only coach that took notice. So, I would suggest sticking to your guns.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
If she was recruited for the team and using their PC was an expectation, I think that should have been conveyed by the HC at the time she was asked to join the team.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Mods - please lock this thread immediately. The OP has his answer and I believe this the first thread ever on DFP in which everyone has been in agreement!!!!

Hurry!

Apr 13, 2011
Hey could you folks give me some advice? My daughter has been taking golf lessons from Jack Nicklaus, Dave Pelz and the ghost of Ben Hogan, but now her nursery school coach wants her to switch to their official instructor who is a kid that drives the tractor scooping up balls at the local range. Please help us with this difficult decision!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors