Pitching Coach Certifications

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
my experiance in looking for PC's for my dd was that some PC's explain themselves well and are just stuck in the past or have stopped learning. Others seem like they have never had to answer a question about how they teach and they resent answering them.
i want PC to be able to explain how they teach, why they teach it. Also be able to teach kids that just dont get it.
i think reading "The Inner Game of Tennis" should be required reading I want my PC trained to use the clicker.

i want instructors to always be learning, so maybe every year some kind of refresher course needs to be done to go over the finer details? because lets face it people forget stuff.
also i want someone that listens and watches before making their evaluation. i say this because Tincher was a dissapointment because he made lots of assumtions about my dd while we were there, he assumed she was a glove swimmer, he assumed she was a pitcher that had a forward lean problem at release, (really) this was after watching her pitch and supposely studying video I sent. He assumed she knew less then she did and when ahe tried to speak up she got cut off. He had a know it all, seen it all before, shes just like all these other kids attitude. i agree lots of kids have the same issues, but they still need to be looked at individually.

sorry for the typos typing on my ipad the keyboard is really small!!

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Mothgirl, I think you make some great points. Continuous learning is really important. I would probably pull my own head off if I had to teach everything the same way for years on end. It's always exciting to find new ideas and new ways to help kids get better.

Also agree on not making assumptions or lumping everyone together. The first thing I will do with a new student (or potential student) is see what she does already. That will tell me where we need to start. A lot of times it will be three pitches and I can see we're starting at the beginning. I see hello elbow and slam the door a lot.

But sometimes you get a kid who already has some pretty good fundamentals but may have some flaws within them. Not because she's been taught incorrectly but because she's not doing the things she should. That's a very different starting point. If a girl says she has this pitch or that pitch I will look at what she does. If she throws it differently than I teach it, but it seems to work for her, then I will usually stay with what she has and put it on myself to learn how to help her do it better. I've done that with a couple of changeups. Nothing I would teach myself, but I will work with what she does.

The other thing I'll say is I like questions. Just be prepared for a detailed answer. I don't think kids should do something just because I say so. I should have a reason for it or they shouldn't do it. Questions show thy're engaged.

I will also encourage pitchers and their parents to go online after the lesson and compare what I'm telling them to what the top pitchers do. Because if I'm not teaching what top pitchers do they should look for someone who does. Of course, I mostly say that to battle all the bad teaching (but good salesmanship) in my area. :D

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Great points! KK but I think your the exception not the rule
I think that's why we have stuck with Shannon, Roses PC, for so long because she's flexible, she's not a cookie cutter PC, she's always learning, cuz we talk about trying all kinds of things. She directed me here! That's a huge plus! My complaint (if I had to give one) with her is she's too busy, we only have 30 minutes with her. She's got back to back 30 min lessons all day long. believe me. I understand because she is the best around. In that 30min tho we have her full attention and shes very good at picking out flaws! she could be more firm in her expectations with dd. But I do like that she's very honest she doesn't tell dd how great she's doing she gives her honest feedback. Like her spins are way less then desired,her speed is on the low end and she lets her know you gotta have one or the other, and it's getting late for my dd, she needs to poop or get off the pot!

So I would add that PC's need to be able give students an honest Eval of where they are and where they should be and where they could be.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Mothgirl, 30 minutes is pretty much the norm. If you're going once a week that's all you should need with the PC. Too much time in one lesson and there's a risk of information overload, or trying to fix too many things at once.

Sounds like your PC knows what she's doing. She provides direction or correction, tells your daughter what to work on in that time. The rest is up to the pitcher. Your greatest gains will be made outside of lessons, not during them.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd add that for 30 minute sessions, kids should be warming up 15 minutes prior to their start time.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
KK, Thats true Your right, anything over 30 and they get to working on too many things. I didn't think about that but now that you say it, makes sense.

I'm not sure cuz we've not done it before but, I think I might like an hour lesson or even a 90min lesson once a month? Now that my dd is at the point where she does do the homework, and does send video to PC to get advice.

It took my dd a bit to realize that the lesson is only to get the things she needs to work on for the week. She gets that now, now it's just getting her to, not be scared to change things, she's starting to get over that too.

We get there 30mim early to warm up these days. During the summer PC has a whole body workout written on the board that her students are supposed to do before the lesson. We get there an hour before to do the workout 30mim and warm up arm 30min.

My dd really likes doing the workout before, which PC loves cuz, I don't think many of her students do it.

I like that PC tells my dd, it's her work ethic that will take her far, the way she put it was good. She basically said, your not a superstar pitcher, but you work harder then most keep doing that and it will pay off. She stresses that she work in her spins since she's not real fast. I think honest assessment has to be part of a good coach, even tho it's hard to hear sometimes

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'd add that for 30 minute sessions, kids should be warming up 15 minutes prior to their start time.

Completely agree. I always suggest to parents/pitchers that they get there ahead of time and get warmed up. I tell them the honest truth - I hated paying for warmup time when I was a parent, because that's something we could do on our own. As a buyer, I wanted the whole lesson to be instruction. So if it was good enough for me...