Pitching Coach Certifications

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
One more very important factor: communication

Be easily accessible to your athletes and their parents.

What do I mean by "easily accessible"?
Offer them multiple means of contacting you: telephone, mobile phone, text, email.
And when contacted, reply within 24hrs. Be responsive.
Even if your ultimate intended response is a lengthy one, (like if you are analyzing a vid clip, for example)
and don't have the time in the near-term to respond completely,
a quick note back that the message is received, and a time-table for a complete response will go a long way.

On the flip-side, some families might burden you with too many correspondences outside of your clinics.
So, providing some training in how to politely curtail a barrage of communication from an athlete or parent,
would also be useful.

Last thing: A website interface for booking clinics would be very smart.

Nov 3, 2015
Vienna, VA
One more very important factor: communication

Be easily accessible to your athletes and their parents.

What do I mean by "easily accessible"?
Offer them multiple means of contacting you: telephone, mobile phone, text, email.
And when contacted, reply within 24hrs. Be responsive.
Even if your ultimate intended response is a lengthy one, (like if you are analyzing a vid clip, for example)
and don't have the time in the near-term to respond completely,
a quick note back that the message is received, and a time-table for a complete response will go a long way.

On the flip-side, some families might burden you with too many correspondences outside of your clinics.
So, providing some training in how to politely curtail a barrage of communication from an athlete or parent,
would also be useful.

Last thing: A website interface for booking clinics would be very smart.

I would add to this set up easy communication with their team coach (TB, HS, College) - whether it is an email or a report of what you have been working on and ways the coach can support your teaching. Some, not all, coaches may be willing to meet with you and the young lady at the beginning to discuss and watch the first lesson. Co-opting the coaches through contact early on will build good will and may end up with coaches sending their prospective pitchers to you.

VTF

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
List looks good. I would like to add something but lack the correct $10 words. Must be have a personality that works with the kids and be able to adjust from kid to kid. One kid responds to a joke and the nxt needs a challenge, while the third responds to being pushed. A good coach would be able to read and adjust on the fly to reach most students

"differentiated instruction"

No charge, as long as you remember to tip your local mailman, garbage man, and catcher this holiday season!

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
I've spent quite some time thinking about this thread. I feel like this certified PC is being asked to walk on water.... LOL. Many of us a have settled for far, far less. Perhaps, this is the standard we should expect.

Themes - technology, communication and education:

1. Use technology to educate - themselves on what is actually happening during the pitch. The pitcher - seeing is believing and the bucket parent - so they understand the instruction when they leave.
2. Be open to the bucket parent comment.....especially when they have technology to back it up
3. Be able to explain why something is bein g done. Not just because "you've always taught that way".
4. Being a pitcher isn't a requirement. Understanding pitching is.....
5. Who certified you???

I have seen PCs with radar guns, rev fires, track pitch types, spin rates, speed and accuracy stats but still teach HE. They have many college pitchers on there resume too - including D1.

I think the critical elements are what is included in being "certified"
- # of training hours
- % proficientcy in understanding techniques
- Ability to communicate technique
- Continuing education
- tools and tricks of the trade
- access to ongoing training resources
- Who is doing the certification - what's their resume/experience?

When it comes to pitching....I dove head first after realizing our first coach was a waste of time and money. (A D1 player that knew nothing really.)
Just like many of you..... I've spent hours reading, rereading and experimenting with everything provided here. I found a love for this game from a completely different perspective. DD has experienced remark improvement thanks to her hard work and help from many of you.

I enjoy coaching..... And not just my DD. I am life long learner..... And a certified PC should be the same.

I'd be thrilled to spend hours and hours learning from the best..... To become a certified PC; even if my only student was my DD.

So basically...... Establish your curriculum, find your venue, and sign me up.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd be thrilled to spend hours and hours learning from the best..... To become a certified PC; even if my only student was my DD.

I love chatting with, studying and learning from several different PC's. I have no need for a certification, although I do feel like sometimes I need something more to back up my perspective for folks who ask why they shouldn't be working with the former NAIA DIV I Champ... To be honest, I wish the former pitchers knew more about the basics so I could send my kids to someone who played the game at the highest levels and could teach them the finer points of "The Game" without insisting they perform HE and clearing the hip.

If Hillhouse, Balswick, Gillis, Pauly, White, Skinner, Coach H or or Coach M offered certification courses and were available to me--I'd take them all. Learn, grow and evolve... Get as many perspectives as you can, try them out, compare the teachings against the Hanson Principle and continue to grow...

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I've spent quite some time thinking about this thread. I feel like this certified PC is being asked to walk on water.... LOL. Many of us a have settled for far, far less. Perhaps, this is the standard we should expect.

Themes - technology, communication and education:

1. Use technology to educate - themselves on what is actually happening during the pitch. The pitcher - seeing is believing and the bucket parent - so they understand the instruction when they leave.
2. Be open to the bucket parent comment.....especially when they have technology to back it up
3. Be able to explain why something is bein g done. Not just because "you've always taught that way".
4. Being a pitcher isn't a requirement. Understanding pitching is.....
5. Who certified you???

I have seen PCs with radar guns, rev fires, track pitch types, spin rates, speed and accuracy stats but still teach HE. They have many college pitchers on there resume too - including D1.

I think the critical elements are what is included in being "certified"
- # of training hours
- % proficientcy in understanding techniques
- Ability to communicate technique
- Continuing education
- tools and tricks of the trade
- access to ongoing training resources
- Who is doing the certification - what's their resume/experience?

When it comes to pitching....I dove head first after realizing our first coach was a waste of time and money. (A D1 player that knew nothing really.)
Just like many of you..... I've spent hours reading, rereading and experimenting with everything provided here. I found a love for this game from a completely different perspective. DD has experienced remark improvement thanks to her hard work and help from many of you.

I enjoy coaching..... And not just my DD. I am life long learner..... And a certified PC should be the same.

Very much appreciate your perspective! Thanks for taking the time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand