Pitching cleats...do's and dont's...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2016
Mpls.
My DD is needing to get new cleats and this is our first time getting pitching cleats. She is a 12U where molded cleats are still required. We are wondering what to look for and to avoid. The two main questions are...

1) What brand is the best?
2) Low cut cleats or the higher mid cut?
3) Any other advice?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD is needing to get new cleats and this is our first time getting pitching cleats. She is a 12U where molded cleats are still required. We are wondering what to look for and to avoid. The two main questions are...

1) What brand is the best?
2) Low cut cleats or the higher mid cut?
3) Any other advice?

In my mind you have two choices...

1) The BEST brand in Ringor... but for growing feet they are expensive. I prefer 3n2 cleats with pitching toe because they are pretty nice and last a season. Which is about how long it currently takes my DD to grow out of them. Currently the molded Rally Cleats with Pitching Toe are $44.99 but I have seen them as low as $20 when they have a sale. 3N2 RALLY TPU PT Fastpitch Softball Cleats with Pitching Toe. I have a pile of them in different sizes I bought for my DD when they were on sale.

2) Low cut unless your DD has ankle issues. Even then, it may be easy to get ankle braces than high/mid cuts. Probably doesn't make that much of a difference honestly.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
We haven't ever tried the 3N2 cleats but I have had my eye on them for years and would take a look for sure.

Ringor look awesome and now that DD1 has slowed down her growing we will be looking for a pair. At 12U she was in stealth growth mode so we bypassed them.
Mizuno molded cleats have always been our go to and we have always been happy with them. Both DD1 and DD2 (10U) have worn them and love them.

Dec 28, 2015
Schaumburg, IL
We were very happy this year with Boombah cleats. Based on how DD's previous pairs of cleats had looked after a couple of months, I was amazed at how well they held up through the entire season. They are not marketed as a pitcher's cleat, but they have a good sized piece of solid plastic wrapped around the front of the toe, and it held up tremendously well. We got a new pair (different model) that she wore through the fall, and they seem to be just as durable. If you go to the footwear section on the Boombah site and check the clearance section, they have great prices on models from the previous year (both pairs we have are now in the clearance section). They don't have all sizes in all colors, but if you can find what you need, you can't beat the price for cleats that hold up like these do!

Jun 12, 2015
We got Ringor cleats for my pitcher and they're pretty awesome. We got them on clearance for $35 so TOTALLY worth it. I don't think I'd spend full price because my kid's feet are still growing like crazy. I think they have a couple of styles on clearance right now on their website.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yea I love that they always have shoes on clearance!

Clearance is why my DD only wears white cleats since they are the ones that go onsale 90% of the time....

She may have also worn pink cleats a few times for the same reason...

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I went the route of 3N2 for affordability. Decent for the $$ BUT after a soggy weekend
the soles separated from both shoes. She liked the fit/comfort of Mizuno but they
never lasted a season. Ringor is the only cleat that wears out inside faster than outside.
Ringor is expensive but contact them for team discounts etc. They have good customer service
as well. Her college team is 100% Ringor. (D3 at dad's expense of course)

Last edited:
May 15, 2014
Atlanta
Ringor pitching toe is the best. My daughter is on her 3rd pair, not because they wore out but she outgrew them. She is 11 now and her foot growth has slowed which is why we were willing to pay that much for a cleat. If you can get a season out of them, they are worth the price. We had ours measured for adult women's at our local Dicks Sporting goods and then ordered her half a size up from what she sized at. We also splurged and got the turf pitching toe and those are definitely worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck