Pitches with Lowest chance of injuries

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
What is the best way to teach 8-9yr olds to pitch and avoid injuries (basic mechanics)? What is the safest way to throw a drop and a change to slightly older girls 11-12 ? Does IR increase or decrease chances of injury or overuse?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"What is the best way to teach 8-9yr olds to pitch and avoid injuries"

Play horseshoes and stand way away from the pole when the other person is pitching them.

:)

Sorry, couldnt resist.

Jan 27, 2010
What is the best way to teach 8-9yr olds to pitch and avoid injuries (basic mechanics)? What is the safest way to throw a drop and a change to slightly older girls 11-12 ? Does IR increase or decrease chances of injury or overuse?

I've read with interest the many questions you have posted. The short answer is to find these girls a pitching coach before they do get injured. I suggest you attend coaching clinics and learn more before taking on any students.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Ive been to clinics and have had 2 pitching coaches work with my dd I am always there asking questions. Ive also watched videos, read books, forums, and post but while there are some similarities there are also lots of inconsistenties. colBoth pitchn coaches pitch college d2 and teach finish touching thrown hand shoulder, so does Jennie Finch in one of her online videos, but then others teach differently. My main concern is injury prevention.Thanks Eric!

Jan 22, 2009
Have them work on hitting their spots, work on their reflexes on balls hit back to them, and wear a facemask.

I may be wrong, but I think Dragon was asking more about wear and tear on the arm and which style, IR or wave, is less stressfull.

Dragon, I have also seen where Jennie teaches a hand behind the ball and "hello elbow" as she calls it, but in watching videos of her I don't see her using what she teaches. I believe this is true with the majority of instructors out there. With the cost of good video equipment being fairly low, I think more and more people will will get away from the hand behind the ball and waving to 2B. Experiment with yourself and see which one feels more natural, That's what I did before making the change. Probably cost my DD at least three years of development by forcing a wrist snaps and "hello elbow" over the years. In a few weeks after converting to IR she has had signicant improvement in the FB and drop. Still stuggling with the rise, but she never threw it very well anyway.

Basic Mechanics

Get a coach that understands and teaches pitching mechanics that the very best in the world use. They all have a very narrow range of variation in their mechanics from the 12 o'clock postion through the release of the ball........before and after those points are relatively less important.
Of course I am going to be biased in this recommendation but check out the training DVD or the pitching Motion Analysis product on; www. paulygirlfastpitch.com

It will be the best money you will spend on your DD's pitching career.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32