Pitcher's toe drag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2016
Replanters....

So I should I be glad my DD doesn't do anything like that? She digs a groove in the dirt with her foot each time she practices with me. Is it a problem if her toe is dragging do severely that she digs a groove?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Yes. Digs a trench in solid ground, or hogs out loose dirt from an existing trench? I’d prefer to see video before saying much more.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
So I should I be glad my DD doesn't do anything like that? She digs a groove in the dirt with her foot each time she practices with me. Is it a problem if her toe is dragging do severely that she digs a groove?

Bob,

If she's 6', 200 and throwing 70, she's doing great! :eek:

Otherwise, the pattern and severity of the groove relative to the pitching circle condition will be your painter's palette. The pitching lane can tell you many things about her efficiency, or lack of it. Generally, a light drag mark with a mostly vertical (may be a slight figure S) drag path toward her target (catcher) is a good goal. If she's digging too deep and/or ruddering (commonly seen with the figure-4) toward a dugout, there'll likely be less-than-optimal forward energy transfer. In this case, she'd leave alot of power anchored in the backside that is never released, as well as in the ruddering radius from the imaginary line to the catcher. Control & locations can also be affected.

Michael White and Bill Hillhouse were so consistantly efficient and accurate because they had such precise, natural fluidity. They rarely left any more than a scratch on the power line, with posture that was poster perfect. They both had incredibly quiet & smooth lower quadrant mechanics and rarely wasted energy in their transfer. Both could also outline the strike zone blindfolded. ;)

Chris

Last edited:
May 15, 2016
(may be a slight figure S) drag path toward her target (catcher) is a good goal.

Thanks Chris. She does make an elongated figure S with the toe of her dragging foot ending at the heel of her stride foot. Well she does it a good percentage of the time.

Mar 8, 2017
My 9 year old often leaps 1/4" off the ground, it's really hard to get that habit of keeping the toe on the dirt.

Guess that's the same as grown men using illegal steroids and growth hormone?

Feb 15, 2017
My 9 year old often leaps 1/4" off the ground, it's really hard to get that habit of keeping the toe on the dirt.

Guess that's the same as grown men using illegal steroids and growth hormone?
Does she replant and do you know it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06