Pitcher's Knees Hurting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2009
My 14U pitcher-daughter has started having a little pain in her knees right at the bottom of her knee caps. She only started taking lessons and pitching when she was 12 (2 1/2 years) and her form is great. She is 5'6" 125 lbs of muscle and is a top level ASA A level pitcher so she's generating a lot of force and torque on her legs. I have heard that strengthening the hamstrings helps. What else do I need to do to help her out if there is nothing structurally wrong? Please help!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
If possible you need to post a video of your DD pitching so some of these people can evaluate her to see if it could be her pitching causing the pain.

If there is pain when pitching, she is doing it wrong

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Overuse injuries for softball pitcher do occur, no matter how good her form is. How much is she pitching?

If you could post a video, we might be able to find a problem in her form.

Coach'n'Dad--it is a myth that kids with good form never get hurt.

Jan 27, 2010
If her form is great and there is nothing structurally wrong and the pain is in both knees, it may be growing pains if she is going through a growth spurt. Of course, the video would be beneficial to see if there is any flaws that could cause the pain.

Apr 6, 2009
Overuse injuries for softball pitcher do occur, no matter how good her form is. How much is she pitching?

If you could post a video, we might be able to find a problem in her form.

Coach'n'Dad--it is a myth that kids with good form never get hurt.

We normally practice 3 days a week-Mon-Wed with the 3rd day being her lesson and then just do a quick warm-up on Friday to get ready for the tournament unless we have to play one game on Friday.

I don't think it's her form...she goes to a good established pitching coach once a week and her mechanics are sound but I will try to post a video.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My DD turned 14 in April .... we practice pitching 1-2 x per week ... she is pitching 2 games per week.
She is playing 1st base in Middle school and pitching 1x per week for that team.
Pitching one game a week for LL. A few pracices a week but not pitching at those.

One knee is bothering her around the knee cap as well .... I think her drag leg .. right.
She just grew 3 inches in the last 4 months and lost 9 pounds ...
(surprised she can pitch at all with the drastic change we made in her form and the growth spurt!)

Doesn't hurt while pitching ... or running bases ... only occasional complaint at night (not daily pain) ... no swelling no bruising ...

We are keeping an eye on it .. little ice now and then ... occasional Ibuprofen ....
Doing some leg exercises to help strengthen the muscles (maybe the extra 3 inches requires some leg strengthening)

She has a "gun" from outfield and along with pitching she has not had pain in arm or shoulder thus far ...

Hopefully just "growing pains" for your daughter ...sounds like she has a nice future!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00