Pitcher's Knees Hurting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2009
hello... this caught my eye because I've had to have knee surgery from pitching. I'm fairly confident my mechanics are sound... it can be a genetic thing. Take her to the doctor and make sure it's not patella tendinitis. That is what I had to have. Mine was severe enough that I needed SURGERY not a scope. It's commonly known as jumper's knee. Commonly occurs in basketball players.

7x your body weight goes through your joints when a pitcher pushes off and lands when pitching. Some bodies are not made to sustain that and additional rehab/conditioning is needed. If it's caught early, physical therepy and a weight program will suffice. If not, she may need a procedure. This is, of course, assuming she has the same thing as I had.

Bill

Thanks...we have a Dr's appt and I had a physical therapist check her out this morning and he said that it could be femural tibia syndrome (knee tendonitis) or a name I can't remember and thinks she just need to start stretching real good and get on a strengthening program for her hamstrings and legs.

Apr 6, 2009
Bill, you are exactly right about the genetics thing. If you think about the old days of baseball where pitchers pitched 60 games a year, some guys didn't hurt from pitching every other day. Others blew their arms out.

It really is simply luck as to who is going to get hurt and who isn't by these idiot parents and coaches (and I was in both groups) pitching these kids too much.

The other thing that I don't understand is why pitching coaches are so reluctant to state the obvious. In the NCAA, there are hurt pitchers all over the place (e.g., Missouri, Arizona) and yet Michelle Smith gets on the TV and says, "The pitching motion is natural. It won't hurt a girl."

If there were an inning limitation in HS and ASA, there would need more pitchers...so, it seems that there would be more students, and more work for the pitching coaches.

I completely agree that there needs to be pitching limits and that ASA and HS should lead this implementation. This would lead to more pitchers in the sport and to other teams not being at an advantage because they don't care about the welfare of their best pitcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles