Pitchers dealing with the heat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2014
I just wanted to get some advice and wisdom on dealing with the heat. My dd is 10u pitcher and really has trouble with the heat. Some things we do 1. night before a lot of water big carb meal. 2. In the morning eggs, toast, Banana, more water. 3. During games water and power bar in between games turkey sandwich and fruit. Also wet towel around neck during games.

Even with all this she still gets headaches

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
This is a problem we deal with in the Phoenix AZ area on a regular basis. We have game time temps. of 95 to 110. I don't know about loading up with all that food. One thing we all do is drink a lot of sports drinks on a regular basis all through the game,
. Replacing electrolytes is very important. Hydrating the day before is really important. If a pitcher and catcher are involved in an extended inning they will call time and have the players drink something.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Water is big for headaches. You might try upping the water intake the night before and make sure she's getting plenty the day of. I suggest to my my kids they freeze hand towels wrapped in plastic shopping bags the night before and pack them in a small lunch cooler with some waters.

As always, consult a Dr (preferably a sports Dr.) when dealing with ailments that don't seem to fit the normal stuff.

Ken

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
Hydrating for us begins 3 days before a tournament, and at games a 50/50 mix of water and an electrolyte drink. Meal between games is a non-turkey sandwich and fruit, usually chicken or ham. Snacks imclude any trail mix, more fruit and hummus.

Some protien bars are high in sugar and not made of too many natural ingredients, just my thoughs.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just can't possibly drink enough water, to ward off a headache. Recently, I am trying fruit during my lessons. I have 3 tomorrow, but I handle the heat better than a couple of my students. Frog Togs help me, too.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Along with hydrating and sport drinks.......
Cold Watermelon for snack
frozen bandanas - wet and freeze them overnight
spray bottle for misting during game - freeze it so the water is cold. We use a home depot spray bottle.
homemade ice packs for back of neck (alcohol and water - the alcohol keeps the water from freezing solid)

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We battle sweltering heat topped with choking humidity in good old low country of SC.

So here is our routine:
Always make sure you getting at least 3-4 16oz. bottles of water a day off the field.
Only one bottle of sport drink before practice/game and one after wards. Prefer low calorie not loaded with sugar.
Hydrate during practice/game - everytime you hit the dug out should be at least 6oz.
Stay away from bread and processed food - especially anything fast food.
Tournament days consist of steady snacking on fresh fruit - our bowl usually has oranges, strawberries, blueberries and bananas.
Protein energy bar morning of tournament.
Night before game - fresh salad, some form of pasta and usually a small portion of steak.
Breakfast day of - fruit or an egg or granola with no milk products.

After game - big bowl of ice cream (hahaha).

Always carry a cool rag, small cooler with ice and Florida water (just about 4 cap fulls mixed in). Florida water is cheap cologne that when mixed with cool water then dip a rag in will help open sweat pores to adsorb cool water.

All this really helps.

Jul 4, 2012
Conditioning helps. Some may think it's crazy at 10u, but even just a mile run three days a week will do wonders. Make it a goal to better the time. Make it a family outing and it can be fun.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Just got some great advice: Coconut water. It has fewer calories, less sodium, and more potassium than a sports drink while being super hydrating with electrolytes. I drink it occasionally but never new it was so hydrating. Had DD try some...she didn't like the taste - yet. :rolleyes:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What we used to use (40 yrs. ago) :) was salt. I am going to add a small amount to my diet. So many items are salt free, now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors