Pitcher's Body Language

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2020
Do you think a pitcher's body language can affect the whole team? How does a coach handle a pitcher with bad body language?

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
What are some examples you are thinking here? Not caring at all body language. Bad ump call body language. My defense just made 3 errors in a row so please get your sh#t together because this inning has now gone on for 15-20 minutes body language. I can't throw a strike to save my life, coach please pull me body language.

The easy answer is absolutely it can. But I also think situations will elicit some type of human response, good or bad. Not everyone has the ability to be cool, calm and collected.

Aug 21, 2020
What are some examples you are thinking here? Not caring at all body language. Bad ump call body language. My defense just made 3 errors in a row so please get your sh#t together because this inning has now gone on for 15-20 minutes body language. I can't throw a strike to save my life, coach please pull me body language.

The easy answer is absolutely it can. But I also think situations will elicit some type of human response, good or bad. Not everyone has the ability to be cool, calm and collected.

My DD has a very specific “This &@?!-ing slapper is fouling everything I throw at her and I hate how she keeping walking towards me” body language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Do you think a pitcher's body language can affect the whole team? How does a coach handle a pitcher with bad body language?

Yes a P's body language can affect the whole team. teammates can tell when a player is down or quit mentally. They can also feed off a pitcher who doesn't get rattled and plays with poise regardless of the situation. They can also respond to a P who gets fired up (appropriately). A lot depends on the emotional and mental make up of the P.

We've counseled our DD to remain as poised and unfazed as possible. Kind of a NEXT PITCH mentality. We, as parents, can tell when things are going on in her head. But one of the best compliments she got after a tough inning where the defense kept letting the team down was a player in dugout told her "Wow you didn't let any of that get to you and kept battling for us. I would have been pissed and yelling at people". Players do notice and can feed off of the P. Positive and negatively. Funny thing that moment my DD could have spit nails but her outward demeanor remained calm and even.

How does a coach handle a pitcher with bad body language?

Loaded question and situational dependent on the coach and the pitcher. Ideally bad body language is addressed at practices and with good mental coaching and approach. Earlier ages teaching P's and the whole team how to appropriately respond to situations. Then there's teachable moments in game, post game and post tournament. Each one is situational. Good coaches know when to address based on the situation and the makeup of the player.

I've called time and talked with a P during an inning to address body language. That P could handle the conversation in the moment and made immediate adjustments that I knew she would. She wasn't aware the body language she was using and communicating. Others are a conversation after the inning or the game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good question.
Good responses!
Hmmm what can i add...
Pitcher or not everyone on the team simply understands who the biatch is. Regardless of body language. Can definitely affect Dynamics.

What to do about it?
Communication with a standard of the situation at hand. Like others commented situational things may promote different visual emotion body language stuff. Sometimes it's just the face LOL.
Communication on how to make a mental adjustment.
If its Poopy behavior and continues a limit of how long it will be tolerated. And finally a repercussion for its continuance.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Quick reply - yes, it can and certainly does impact the whole team (for better or worse). What can the Coach do? That depends on many factors and situations. There may be behaviors, body language or "tells" that the kid may not realize or even want to own up to. Video of the Pitcher actually exhibiting the behavior is a great tool and can be very powerful when they say "but I'm not doing anything". Good luck with it!

Aug 21, 2008
Find out if any university in your area has a Sports Psych program. Call the professor and have them give you some students to come work with your entire team, not just the pitcher. The shortstop who makes an error or a catcher that has a passed ball can give off bad vibes too. Pitchers are the most visible and probably most important for the tone but, others can effect it too. Offer some of those college kids $20 beer money have them come work with your team, I cannot stress enough how much this will help. When I was with the National team, we had access to the US Olympic team Sports Psychologists. We went to class room style lectures at the Olympic center and what they taught was fantastic. I wish I had that earlier in my career. Earlier this winter when I was working with the Olympic team, the current USOC Sports psych came to Dallas for sessions with the whole team and individuals.

This will be one of the best investments you can make into your team, and the lessons translate into every day life too.

Sep 19, 2018
I believe that body language can /does also have an affect on the opposing team. I believe that bad body can give the opposition confidence. Both from a pitcher and hitters perspective.

Sep 19, 2018
Find out if any university in your area has a Sports Psych program .....

This will be one of the best investments you can make into your team, and the lessons translate into every day life too.

One of the girls on my dd team has an older sister that uses a sports Psych. Her parents have said is has made a world of difference for her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi