Pitcher's ankle injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2009
DD rolled her ankle last week in speed and agility training and re-aggravated it in practice yesterday. Neither time was related to pitching. We took her to Dr today and Xrays were negative and we were told to keep her away from activity for a week. Luckily her club team doesnt start scrimmaging for two weeks but she wil miss at least one middle school game. Anyone have any experience with an ankle injury? She already proclaimed herself ready for pitchers and catchers try-outs tommorrow but the coach knows she is out for at least a week. I may have to hide her softball bag tommorrow.lol

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Yes, DD had a full dislocation of her right ankle in December of 2009. The bad news was that she was in a wheelchair for 2 months; the good news was that she was pitching in HS games a week after that. She needs to wear an ankle brace for the rest of her career.

My suggestion is that your DD do EXACTLY what her doctor says. It isn't worth the risk of further injury!!!!!

Jul 21, 2008
If she still has swelling in the ankle try this....its painful but it works.

Get two buckets of water in one ice water and the other hot water (hot as you can stand it). Start with the ice and submerge foot in ice water for 1 min then remove and put directly into the hot water for 3 min then repeat several times. This promotes blood cirulation in the foot/ankle and swellinmg will go down and will feel much better. Worked for my daughter she was playing in less than a week.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know enough about this, yet, but I am starting to read about it. I bought it at Sports Authority. KT TAPE

Rest and elevating the ankle is always good. I am glad that she is seeing the doctor.

stv

May 12, 2010
DD rolled her ankle, and re-aggravated it in practice yesterday. Neither time was related to pitching.
My DD did the same thing. So when the injury re appeared I tried to learn from it. So this time, after swelling went down.
She would do rehabilitation excersises (easily found on the net). I've been taping her ankle before practices to prevent re-injury. (learn how also easily found on the net) . Her cleats were worn down, so I bit the bullet and orderd her a pair of Mid high Ringors.
When I feel more comfortable or when I get tired of buying tape. I may switch to that kinesology tape.
So really what we learned, we or I was'nt just going to let time alone do it. The exercises are easy some you can do together example you hold and brace her foot and ankle as she moves it you keep resistance. Example of one by her self would be just standing on her one foot and keeping her balance, to make more difficult have her stand on a pillow or cushion. The internet is full of them.
Be pro active.
Hope this helps have a great season.
ss

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The ankle has many potential issues. One injury is different then the next. On top of that you have degrees of sprain. What one person experiences is going to be different then what your daughter will experience.

what CnD said is exactly right. Do what the doctor says and do not allow your girl to do anything not recommended by the doc. Rolling an ankle usually means a sprain. A mild sprain is usually a stretched ligament, how badly stretched is how they determine the degree. Further stretching could cause a tear or even a severing of the ligament. Make sure she understands the potential outcome of not listening to the doctor.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Ankles are a chronic problem for most--once they've gone once, they're likely to go again. Get some high quality ankle braces (McDavid makes good ones) and get DD used to wearing them. Don't rush back onto the field, either. DD needs to trust that ankle to fully commit to her motion. Do rehab exercises faithfully, and she will get stronger faster.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole