Pitcher with buckle fracture of wrist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2010
Hi my daughter had a buckle fracture of her right wrist she had been in cast for 6 weeks.
Before breaking it she pitched at least 5 days a week if not more.
Just got it off Dr said she did not need any therapy but we would like to bring her along
slow she has a lot of years ahead of her. Does anyone have advice on how to bring her
back into shape.
She is 12 years old and throws 50-53mph any info would be greatley appreciated

Jul 26, 2010
She should be able to pitch horseshoe changeups with a wrist brace on. That's the pitch that seems to have the least amount of wrist movement or stress. That will let her work on her footwork and her arm circle. I'd let her pitch a few from a K and see how it feels before moving on. Keep the sessions to 10-15 minutes to start, don't push it.

-W

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
You might find that a wrist brace does not affect her motion much at all. The one thing to keep and eye on is the increased blood flow and pressure in the hand/wrist due to the centrifugal force of the arm circle. For a brace I would consider ones used for carpal tunnel syndrome, a bowling glove/brace or one used in skate boarding and roller blading. A brace that is basically an elastic wrap might not limit the range of motion enough.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Let me start by stating that I am not a Dr, nor do I play one on TV. I have had a multitude of atheletic injuries in my time. Any body part that has been in a cast for six weeks requires some sort of rehab. Simply put, the muscles are going to be out of shape. I would begin by trying to strengthen the area. Get a squishy ball and have her squeeze it until fatigued. Then wait and do it again. You will need to build up her forearm and hand strength. I am sure there are other tips to build back the muscle in that area of the arm. You are right in bringing her back slowly. Good luck.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Joemcq51, I agree. Having raised 3 kids in sports and my DD had all kinds of injuries, she always had rehab. I remember one for the wrist was that bicycling machine that you do with your hands.

Maybe your doctor is OK, but maybe you need a sports doc. There would be one that specifically does wrists.

How did she break it? I am unfamiliar with a buckle fracture. I am guessing that it wasn't from pitching?

Apr 26, 2010
Thanks my husband has already given her a squishy ball that is a good idea.
Thanks for the good wishes

Apr 26, 2010
Hello she fell in the last five minutes of a roller skating party for a classmate. Thanks for the bike idea we do have one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA