pitcher starting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2012
I would appreciate any thoughts on starting a brand new pitcher. I am going to be starting Sunday open gyms for softball pitchers next weekend. I have started pitchers in the past with the basics. The first thing I like to do is start them out with arm rotation w/no ball and then move to teaching them about the powerline, stride then timing. I usually spend the first session simply going over that in a nut shell. I always like to end our session with a game or taking some grounders "last one standing". One more question....anyone subscribe to using the "football drill"? Pitchers using a football vs a softball to work on spin.

Apr 25, 2010
I guess my first question would be, what is the age group that you are looking at? Also, are you a pitching coach?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The most important thing would be to develop good mechanics from the very beginning. Much easier to learn it right the first time vs. trying to change after you have been doing it for a couple of years! What are your credentials as a pitching coach? How old are the girls? Is this for rec ball or TB?

Oct 1, 2012
None of these girls are likely to play any TB and will at best play summer rec. This is mostly to help out the school program. I've been very involved with pitching since my daughter was 10u as her team coach and "pitching" coach. So I am no expert by any stretch but I don't think I am completely clueless. In this area there are no PC's or TB teams. My daughter was a four year starter here and I have been working with her successor who is a sophomore. I have never pitched myself but as softball dads go I don't think very many of us have. Just doing what I can to help out any kid here that wants to pursue softball. There's a few that have some promise but high school ball will be about the extent of their playing days. Anyway, I have really like the information I've seen here and thought I'd throw the question out there for additional ideas....drills or simply things to keep in mind.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The very first thing that I do, is to hand them each a softball and show them the 4 seam grip. I explain the rotation of the seams, where the middle finger leaves the ball (and how this coincides with the overhand throw). I show them how the ball has to sit out in the tips of your fingers leaving a gap between the ball and your hand. Then, we throw overhand. Then, I break the pitch down into 4 segments, before I ever add the feet. Either put down a power line or draw it in the dirt.

No, I do not use footballs.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
-Teach the grip
-Teach the whip (see IR in the Classroom)
-Add a circle
-Teach the drive (no ball)
-Put it all together
(Sorry I couldn't keep up the rhyme...)

Apr 25, 2010
And then you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around...

Seriously though, I agree with KenB and Amy. Start simple.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Something else to consider when working with new pitchers: a catcher, especially a young catcher, will make every mistake seem worse. When you provide a target, the focus is primarily on the target and less on form. If at all possible, use nets, tarps or other soft backstops until the basic form is taught. Once they have the basics down, add an adult bucket person at short range then as they progress, move the target back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad