Pitcher on Rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
2nd rule clarification. This is the 2nd time in the last month a team has questioned how our pitcher gets her grip. 2 weeks ago, 18U ASA rules, umpires agreed she was legal. Yesterday, USFA rules, the umpire said she was not.

The pitcher steps on rubber with ball in pitching hand, and puts it behind her back while she takes the sign and finds her grip.

She then brings her hands together in front of her and begins her wind up. USFA umpire said she cannot put the ball behind her back to get the grip, the ball had to be in front of her.

Which is correct? Is it different in the different rule sets? It didn't seem to faze the pitcher much, she just spun the ball at her side instead. Again, I'm just curious.

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing I see in the USFA rules requires the hands and ball to be in front of the body.

Official Pitching Rules
1001: Before the pitcher pitches the ball, she must do the
following:
1. Have possession of the ball in either the pitching hand or the
glove hand.
2. Have both hands separated as she steps onto the rubber.
3. Have both feet in contact with the rubber.
4. Pitcher must take or simulate taking signs while on the
rubber from the catcher only.

May 17, 2012
Nothing I see in the USFA rules requires the hands and ball to be in front of the body.

4. Pitcher must take or simulate taking signs while on the
rubber from the catcher only.

So when she is off of the rubber she can take signs (from the coach in the dugout)?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Umpire is incorrect. Back in the day the ball had to remain visible and was to be presented as part of the pitch routine. This is no longer the case. Many pitchers like my DD keep the ball in the glove and it is not seen until they break their hands and start the pitching motion. Others spin the ball on the hip, put it behind them and do all kinds of gyrations. Keep in mind that the moment the pitcher drops the ball they are no longer in possession of the ball in the circle and it is run rabbit run. Few weeks ago saw a pitcher do a snap into glove at back of circle and ball ended up in right field. Two runs scored.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So when she is off of the rubber she can take signs (from the coach in the dugout)?

She can get the pitching signal at any time from anyone. However, she must toe the rubber and with hands apart pause (simulate taking signal) before bringing hands together. Otherwise a pitcher could almost do a walk through as a legal pitch.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619