Pitch count during a tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was getting ready to say it was OK, until I found out it was in 1 day. So, how many times did she warm up? Add those to the pitch count. And did she throw 5 warm up pitches, each inning? 5 pitches X 5 innings X 3 games = 75.

Jun 1, 2013
How do you build endurance with these numbers? Or is endurance out the window?
High School regionals, 2 games a day, minimum 21 batters per game. 3a and below schools (small). They don't have a lot of athletes, surely don't have 2 strong pitchers, scouts may be present. Mr. Coach, Sally has thrown 119 pitches in the first game...who here is gonna say don't pitch my daughter for the final game? This is high school ball, scouts watching or not, and a win takes you to state. Another question is even if you let her pitch the second game will she have the stamina to do it since she has not worked on her endurance? Before you answer think about your high school and all the pitchers they have and realize this may very well be a situation you are in before too long.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
10U and 12U where they are less accurate and still developing a lot.
1 hour and 15 min game = 2.5 times through a 10 person lineup = avg 4-5 pitches per batter = 100-125 avg pitch count per game

Oct 9, 2013
I think 208 is high for a 10 yr old. I faced a similar situation with my 14 year old this year. Afterwards, I had a discussion with the coach stating I wanted her to stay within the 150 range for a day. He was good with it and managed aroound it. For your next tourney 208 may end up being 220+. Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you and your dd.

Oct 27, 2014
Ideally at 10U the team has enough pitching or is working on developing enough pitching that one kid doesn't need to throw 208 pitches in a single weekend.

What do you do if there is enough pitchers but the coach is only developing one of them, using her for 7 games and giving the other pitchers 3 innings total all weekend long? 10U is the age group.

Jun 18, 2010
What do you do if there is enough pitchers but the coach is only developing one of them, using her for 7 games and giving the other pitchers 3 innings total all weekend long? 10U is the age group.

Find a new team.... because that coach has the wrong perspective on the sport.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I agree with knightsb - If it it your DD in the circle she'll be there til her arm falls off or the coach finds someone better to ride. If it is your dd in the group getting 3 total innings she will never see the circle unless she's clearly way better than current #1.

Aug 9, 2013
I have to agree with what everyone said. I'm a 10U coach and my team played 5 games over two days this weekend. For my number 1, before the final game - pitcher, dad and I talked and we all agreed to talk after every inning about how she felt. After inning 3, she told me she felt physically tired and that was the end of the day for her. I wouldn't have gone much more in any case. Note: I have a 4th pitcher who hasn't pitched in a month and we were not going to throw her to the wolves here. Her dad and I agreed on that.

Pitcher 1: Saturday - 77 Sunday - 130 Weekend Total 207
Pitcher 2: Saturday - 79 Sunday - 80 Weekend Total 159
Pitcher 3: Saturday - 20 Sunday - 80 Weekend Total 100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal