Pitch count during a tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
My 10YO daughter threw 208 pitches during a 5GG tourney and some of the parents on our team are upset about this. I have talked to her pitching coach about this who doesn't seem too worried as long as my daughter is physically okay so I am just curious what the average is for a tournament. Thanks

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My 10YO daughter threw 208 pitches during a 5GG tourney and some of the parents on our team are upset about this. I have talked to her pitching coach about this who doesn't seem too worried as long as my daughter is physically okay so I am just curious what the average is for a tournament. Thanks

At face value 208 may seem high there are many factors to take into consideration. Does she demonstrate proper mechanics? How long has she been pitching? How is she built? How were the pitches distributed over time? What pitches was she throwing? After evaluating the situation in a complete and objective manner you can make a determination. Anything else, such as the comments by the other parents is unfounded speculation based on emotion. Could it be that their own DD's did not get equal time?

May 17, 2012
Not sure why the other parents care how many pitchers your daughter threw in a tournament.

My concern would be how many total pitches did she throw in the tournament. This would include game pitches, pitches between innings, and warm ups before the game.

This really depends on the pitcher in my opinion. You never want them to pitch injured. If she is still sore after warming up she doesn't need to pitch. What was her ball to strike ratio?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Ideally at 10U the team has enough pitching or is working on developing enough pitching that one kid doesn't need to throw 208 pitches in a single weekend.

That said, I agree with others that for some kids 208 P would be no problem in a weekend and for others it would be way too many. I think riseball's post is spot on to the reason why or why not 208 may be good or not depending on the girl in question.

And as others have speculated the other parents are upset for one of 2 reasons - their kid didn't get as much circle time as they wanted - or it looked like the kid was pitching injured or fatigued at some point. The first reason is not a good one, the second one might be very valid concern.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
This was a 1 day tourney. She is only 10 so she only has a fastball, change-up and drop. She doesn't throw the drop too much since this one is a work in progress. She is in professional pitching lessons (she goes every week), has been for about 14 months so her form is good. She pitched every other game in our tourney so total of 3. I am not sure if warm up pitches were counted, I would have to find out. I asked her if she was sore the next day and she said the only thing sore was her legs and buttocks from pushing off the rubber. Her arm didn't hurt at all. My daughter is petite, not a large 10YO like some you see that you have to question if they are really 12.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It sounds like she's the best pitcher on the team and the coach rode her all day. I'm not a fan of that at all at that age even if the kid can do it; I don't think they should do it. Just my opinion but 208 in one day seems an awful lot for a 10 year old.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
5GG 1 day tourney??? That changes everything. My DD is in college and 150-175 per day is her upper limit. Coach rode her like a rented mule. Promise yourself and her never again.

Mar 26, 2013
Yeah, you went overboard. Again, it does not matter how they feel right now. You can still cause damage.
+1! A lot of damage can occur before they feel anything.

Here are some age-specific pitch count limits for softball developed by professionals - Softball Injury Prevention. They are understandably somewhat conservative for liability reasons, but they provide a good baseline and framework. Exceeding these limits doesn't mean they will be injured, but there is a corresponding increased risk based on the amount and frequency they are exceeded.

Feb 7, 2013
I'm glad you are asking this important question and care enough about your DDs health that you are seeking advice here.

Remember 208 pitches is really 300+ pitches when you factor in pregame warm-ups and in-between innings warm-ups. Also, you need to look at the cumulative effect on the arms and shoulder when you count overhand throws with team before game and batting practice (hitting stations). All these activities put stress on the upper body. The only positive is she probably only threw about 65 - 70 pitches each game (because of time limits) and did get some rest every other game.

As a separate note, below are some guidelines I try to follow with my DD who is now a 12YO and has been pitching since she was 7YO:

- as a general rule, only practice pitching every other day. The body needs at least 24 hours to recover;
- limit pitching to 3x a week maximum (not withstanding tournaments);
- limit the pitching practice to about 30 mins.
- focus should be on correct mechanics and form to limit injury;
- warm-up slowly with overhand toss, dynamic stretching, move to warm-up pitching drills (T drill, stork, 45s, walk thrus) and finally full pitch;
- take some time off pitching for 2 - 3 weeks, a few times a year (e.g. during the holidays, between seasons, etc);
- monitor her progress and frequently ask how she is feeling. If she is experiencing anything more than general, mild soreness in her elbow, bicep, or shoulder, shut her down for awhile.

Pitching is definitely a marathon and not a sprint, and the coaches sometimes get too concerned with winning meaningless tournaments and don't have your DDs best interest at heart.

Told this before, but DDs former PC needed 2 shoulder (rotator cuff) surgeries her sophomore year in college and her career was done. She attributes the injuries to frequent overuse in travel ball where her head coach would often pitch her 5 games in a day because she was the #1 pitcher on her team.

The bottomline is be smart and be safe.