Pitch Calling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Watched DD's high school coach continue to call changeup after changeup to a team whose batters were so far behind they were fouling the ball off between the backstop and the 1st base dugout. Why on earth someone would slow the ball down for someone that far behind is beyond me but I saw it time and time again. There is definitely skill involved in calling pitches. There are MLB catchers that have hung on in the bigs for years based greatly on their ability to call a good game.
Perhaps it was a blowout and wanted to work the change up and the defense? I have done it.

Jun 8, 2016
Was watching the 2019 16U PGF Premier championsip the other day and the Bandit's pitcher was calling her own game. Conroy said they started doing it this year.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Was watching the 2019 16U PGF Premier championsip the other day and the Bandit's pitcher was calling her own game. Conroy said they started doing it this year.
As you know I like this idea and think there is definitely a return to this approach at various levels. Watching kids wait idly by and sometimes even asking the Coach to hurry up and call something, then having to look at the wristbands then deliver and catch the pre-determined sequenced pitch is painful and not good for the game. Sure, some coaches are better at it than others, so are some pitchers and catchers. The P & C are young and are there to learn the game and develop, the coaches? Well, some just seem stuck in their ways, have too big of an ego or just don't have confidence in the players? Probably a host of other reasons as well, I don't know. Kind of similar to the Hello Elbow/Long Arm/Bowling style pitching coach who will not be swayed regardless of video or watching the best in the business do it differently...sticking with the tired old line - "this is how I was taught and I'm right so I'm not going to change"! pfffftt

Jun 8, 2016
As you know I like this idea and think there is definitely a return to this approach at various levels. Watching kids wait idly by and sometimes even asking the Coach to hurry up and call something, then having to look at the wristbands then deliver and catch the pre-determined sequenced pitch is painful and not good for the game. Sure, some coaches are better at it than others, so are some pitchers and catchers. The P & C are young and are there to learn the game and develop, the coaches? Well, some just seem stuck in their ways, have too big of an ego or just don't have confidence in the players? Probably a host of other reasons as well, I don't know. Kind of similar to the Hello Elbow/Long Arm/Bowling style pitching coach who will not be swayed regardless of video or watching the best in the business do it differently...sticking with the tired old line - "this is how I was taught and I'm right so I'm not going to change"! pfffftt
I thought it was interesting to watch. I have seen catchers "call" games and coaches call games but I have never see a pitcher be the one to give the initial sign.

May 6, 2015
I thought it was interesting to watch. I have seen catchers "call" games and coaches call games but I have never see a pitcher be the one to give the initial sign.

me either, how does that work, how do batters not start to get wise. With C calling, sign and location are hidden from most, but P cannot really hide what they are signalling, cna they?

Jun 8, 2016
me either, how does that work, how do batters not start to get wise. With C calling, sign and location are hidden from most, but P cannot really hide what they are signalling, cna they?
She was yelling out the numbers from those super duper decoder cards. Game is on youtube.

Oct 4, 2018
Watched DD's high school coach continue to call changeup after changeup to a team whose batters were so far behind they were fouling the ball off between the backstop and the 1st base dugout. Why on earth someone would slow the ball down for someone that far behind is beyond me but I saw it time and time again. There is definitely skill involved in calling pitches. There are MLB catchers that have hung on in the bigs for years based greatly on their ability to call a good game.

People have done that with my DD too. They can't touch her fastball and the coach is mixing in change ups. Grrr...

Mar 7, 2016
She was yelling out the numbers from those super duper decoder cards. Game is on youtube.

3rd batter first inning. Has a blast motion sensor on her bat during a game. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but sure does look like it. Is that legal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi