Picked up habit of dropping hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Every hitter 'levels to the ball' ... some through an efficient process, others through an inefficient process.

In the swing clip below, please describe her leveling process and how you believe it is incorrect.

tumblr_oxh4qanQma1usf292o1_250.gif

I believe you referred to this earlier as DBSF ... Drops-Barrel-Swings-Flat.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Every hitter 'levels to the ball' ... some through an efficient process, others through an inefficient process.

In the swing clip below, please describe her leveling process and how you believe it is incorrect.

I believe you referred to this earlier as DBSF ... Drops-Barrel-Swings-Flat
Show me where I posted that above. I believe I said 'level to the ball swing'.
some through an efficient process, others through an inefficient process.
I'm guessing I 'hinted' towards inefficient...your saying this is efficient.
Just pointing out my opinion. The dad can continue down the path that you might believe is correct....I don't...I'm guessing over coaching of the 'college coaches'.
Will see when and if the dad posts future swings.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Seems to me that this kid passes through a reasonable upright-vee (albeit some may consider a bit draggy) for this to be a DBSF candidate.

DBSFx.jpg

Can I get an explanation of DBSF? Does it stand for Drops-Barrel-Swings-Flat? Is the barrel in the above photo considered to have the barrel dropped? Is the barrel expected to swing flat from here? If so, what is the word 'flat' relative too?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Seems to me that this kid passes through a reasonable upright-vee (albeit some may consider a bit draggy) for this to be a DBSF candidate.

DBSFx.jpg

Can I get an explanation of DBSF? Does it stand for Drops-Barrel-Swings-Flat? Is the barrel in the above photo considered to have the barrel dropped? Is the barrel expected to swing flat from here? If so, what is the word 'flat' relative too?

Ask someone one said DBSF..it wasn't me. I said 'level to the ball. I'll bet this hitter has the mechanics to 'level to the ball and swing'.
Not barrel, dropping the hands are leveling to the ball.

Dec 4, 2013
Bob,

A cue that I have used which I believe is relevant here is "Power the barrel down the swing arc". I have had hitters line a tee up on the outer corner of the plate and try to hit ground balls to first base. The focus was creating the early bat speed and accelerating the barrel from 12 o'clock. Ground balls to 1B isn't the ultimate goal, but it helped develop a feel......

In the gif below you can see Bonds torquing the handle. He is creating 12-9 bat speed.
0z5LR2z.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'll respectfully disagree.

Along with other sequential issues.

I see the 'confusing'. I should have been more specific with my disagreement on the gif. It's not DBSF but, to me it's 'level/leveling to the ball and swinging'. I was focusing on the hands leveling not the barrel. Good luck dad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00