Picked up habit of dropping hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
My guess is that if she lowered her handset she would still drop her hands as she is doing now. As rdbass alluded to my guess is that her thought process right now is to get the hands down to swing level to the ball. It seems that the decision to swing or not accentuates this as her tee swing is a bit better. I should know since my kid seems
to posses the same mindset in particular with live pitching :rolleyes: If you can get your DD to lower her hands than you can see what happens..I haven't
had success in getting my DD to lower hers so if you can do it please tell me how you did it ;)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Thank you. Hopefully the coaches teaching this stuff have some example swing clips they can send you. If so, please share. If they can't, then beware.

Plenty of good hitters start with their hands high..none of them swing from there which is what I think you are saying....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A few examples of "flatten, then fling/swing" ....

Flatten_Then_Fling_Fulcrum.gif

Flatten_Then_Swingx.gif

Amelia_Flatten_Then_Swing.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Plenty of good hitters start with their hands high..none of them swing from there which is what I think you are saying....

I was trying to get the OP to reach that conclusion on his own.

I also find it necessary to un-teach this frequently ... hence I wanted to know why three college coaches have been teaching this.

May 15, 2016
I think this hitter should try an open stance. There is no change of direction right now. There is just swinggggging.

On Friday her hitting coach suggested she try an open stance. My DD said during T work practice this morning that she felt more comfortable. Good to hear someone else give the same advice.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I like an open stance but, how is this going to help the 'level to the ball swing'.
tumblr_oxh4qanQma1usf292o1_250.gif

This hitter already remains 'open' during her swing.
Again JMHO but, this hitter has other more important flaws that need to be address than her stances.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like an open stance but, how is this going to help the 'level to the ball swing'.
tumblr_oxh4qanQma1usf292o1_250.gif

This hitter already remains 'open' during her swing.
Again JMHO but, this hitter has other more important flaws that need to be address than her stances.

I assume you believe this young hitter "levels to the ball" incorrectly. How so?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I assume you believe this young hitter "levels to the ball" incorrectly. How so?

Not assuming.
"levels to the ball" incorrectly.
Yep...
She levels to the ball that's how so....
When the dad posts future swings we'll see if this hitter 'levels to the ball' incorrectly or not.
I think she has the swing of a hitter who 'levels' to the ball then swings.
Again JMHO.
Beside that no other issues with this hitter. You've seen the tee swing, with I'm sure of 'instructs' of how to swing.
tumblr_oxizxkgmgb1usf292o1_250.gif

Head down to the ball at contact....check
hands above the ball ....................check

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00