Performance enhancing meals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

stv

May 12, 2010
What are the best pre-game meals. Of course we like our dd to eat fruit, energy bars, drink water ect. before and during games. What about chocolate or soda for added boost? Is there a natural pick me up?
Thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Chocolate or soda might you sick, in the heat. Have you tried Mio, to get her to drink more water? You add a few drops and it comes in various flavors.

I don't think that you want an artificial pick me up, because there is always a "crash", afterwards. I think that fruit, water, cold rags and maybe the feet in cold water, might be enough. What about music?

Jul 26, 2010
Even fruit isn't a good idea, due to the sugar content. Vegetables and brown rice are a much better source of complex carbs on game day. What you want is a very even keel, due to the fact that tournaments last all day, and you can't have crests and troughs of energy throughout the day. Bananas, while high in sugar, are good due to the mineral content. Energy bars are okay, so long as they are not sugary. The more natural the better here (IE green food brand is better then snickers brand).

Steer very wide of energy drinks with sugar and caffine, and jahmba juice. Drink water, water, and more water.

-W

Nov 29, 2009
Steer very wide of energy drinks with sugar and caffine, and jahmba juice. Drink water, water, and more water.

Adding to the list of do not's. Dairy products. They sit there and take forever to digest. So stay away from the nachos and other processed dairy products.

What I found is kids play best when they are a little hungry. When they are full they become lethargic. No heavy foods two hours before playing. If you get caught playing several games over an extended period of time, between games at some point a half a sandwich, a small amount of fruit and maybe a handful of crackers can keep them from feeling starved while not over eating and feeling gorged.

When my DD was playing on rec all-stars they were heading to a tournament championship game. The other team also finished their semi game about the same time we finished ours. There was about 90 minutes to the next game. The other team had someone run and get the team cheeseburgers, fries and shakes from the local McDonald's. We were forced to do the same thing, only we brought back ours a hamburger and nothing else to eat with the promise of a something better if they won. The other team was very close to how strong we were, but they were just going through the motions on the field. Our kids beat them badly.

Nov 1, 2009
I am glad someone pointed out fruit because it is probably the most used bad food at the tournament. Better than candy or soda but if your kids will each fresh veggies it would be much better outcome.

Mar 13, 2010
We give ours jelly beans and frozen fruit. (grapes, watermelon, rockmelon) Occasionly carrot sticks and celery.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Peanut butter sandwich, a banana, and a small gatoraid works an hour and a half before the game. Water durring the game and trail mix (nuts and dried fruit type) about the 3rd or 4th inning. No sugar, dairy products or sodas. Soda should actually be stopped for the season, or at least several days before a tournament as they have a tendency to cause dehydration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi