Pelvic Protection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2009
Coaches, dealing with 10U and 12U kids, do you either recommend or require that your catchers wear some sort of pelvic protection?

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2009
I looked into this a year ago or so, for my dd.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/2097-padded-catchers-shorts-there-such-thing.html

She took a bad foul that bounced down and came back up and hit her. The problem is that in that age, there really isn't much in their size, which is unfortunate. There are some catcher/sliding shorts out there with pelvic protection, but they're made for the older girls. We did buy my dd these.. Shock Doctor Youth Catchers Sliding Short | Softball.com
but they lack any pelvic protection. I think even a 1/4" or 3/8" layer of neoprene foam would help.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
At the beginning of each season/team I talk to my parents about health & safety and I educate them on the many safety devices available for all players (mouthguard, facemask, pelvic protector, etc.) right down to hydration & sunscreen. Some just don't think of these things or even know they are available. But I feel it's important to make them all aware of their options.

BUT...I leave it up to them to decide if they want to use them or not. I kind of recommend certain devices for certain positions, but that's about it. I don't think I can force/require them to wear anything as it's not a Little League Rule and I'm not sure what the repercussions would be (insurance wise) if someone got hurt using something I forecd them to wear.

As Manager I do buy two face masks (1-Rip It and 1-Game Face) for the team to use or try if they wish. They're expensive and at least this way some kids can try them, and the two different styles, before they buy them.

Dec 15, 2009
I'm a catcher and I use a pelvic protector. I didn't even know they existed until i played 14 & under. i reccommend them, that way they will get used to it. But as stated before, I don't think there is much in their size. I think they will become even more important when sliding is introduced in the league/age group. But like also previously stated, a ball can get them there too. If a catcher decides she will wear one, warn her it will be uncomfortable at first but she will get used to it and 9 times out of 10 she will forget she's even wearing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi