Parents calling out pitches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Rules aside, a couple of Stone Cold "stunners" do wonders for idiot parents.

StoneCold-Stunner39.gif

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If the other team or parents are stealing signs we will change them up during the next inning and we instruct our catchers to set up late on the pitch.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I'd tell the umpire it is unsportsmanlike conduct and my team was not going to continue to play if this went on and if he didn't correct it I'd want to see the UIC.

Jun 22, 2008
I'd tell the umpire it is unsportsmanlike conduct and my team was not going to continue to play if this went on and if he didn't correct it I'd want to see the UIC.

Good luck with your protest. There is no rule against it, and if you refuse to continue to play you would forfiet the game.

Didnt we just go over this a few weeks ago?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

index.jpg

I would suggest a different approach. Idle threats will not help your case. And pulling your team is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Buck up and deal with the situation in a positive manner. If that is the worst thing your team has to put up with this season consider yourself fortunate.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The umpire can do something to control it if he/she chooses. I saw something interesting this weekend. Some dad and his daughter stopped off at a batting cage where I was watching a 12U game. The cage ran along the first base line, with the business end pretty much even with the plate.

Apparently someone found it distracting because the umpire asked the parent not to pitch to his daughter while the game was going on. Not sure if a coach complained or if the umpire found it irritating. In any case, the parent gave the umpire some argument, but eventually said he would wait until between innings. Then he decides he has to have the last word and says something snotty to the blue. Blue stops, says I don't need this and tells the parent to leave - the game will not continue until he's gone. The daughter is pleading with her dad, saying "Dad PLEASE, let's go." They finally leave and the game goes on.

Kicker is when I looked at the board later, that girl's team wasn't even playing in that tournament. They just stopped at the field to use the cage.

So while not the same as the OP's post, it shows what a good blue can do when he/she chooses.

Jun 22, 2008
Interesting what people feel is an umpire being a "good blue". Getting involved with things not inside the fence line is not being a good blue. Parents or anyone yelling pitch location is not against the rules. So you think the umpire should rule insportsmanlike conduct on a runner on 2nd base giving hand signals for pitch location to the batter?

It is not against the rules, it is not unsportsmanlike conduct and an umpire should not get involved with things going on in the stands unless it crosses the line of being threatening or vulgar. And even then the umpire should not address it themselves, they should get the tournament director to take care of it. The example you just provided of the umpire telling the people to stop using the batting cage, he was going to punish the teams playing for something people not even involved with the teams were doing and should probably not have even been paying attention to in the first place.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Next tournament blue and I are going to have a discussion about the long lines at the concession stand and the messy restrooms. And the parking is also an issue. Unless there was a specific rule or policy that the cages were not to be used during games the guy and his DD had every right to be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi