Painting a helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The solvent and chemicals used to make the paint the paint could cause the structural modification. Idk maybe I'm wrong.
Either way be safe out there

Here's what I found in the NOCSAE website FAQs...
NOCSAE.org said:
Can a helmet which bears the NOCSAE seal be altered or repaired without legal ramifications?
A helmet should not be altered. Any change or modification in the configuration of the shell or liner materials from manufacturing specifications could substantially alter the performance of the helmet as a unit, causing a change in helmet performance, and possibly exposing the individual responsible to liability. Individual helmet models are certified in the condition and configuration in which they were manufactured, and any alteration, modification, or change from the manufacturing specifications could affect the model’s performance on the NOCSAE certification test. By following proper installation procedures and using replacement parts which meet or exceed original manufacturer specifications, skilled repair of a football helmet should not affect the integrity of the energy attenuation system. It is suggested that the manufacturer be consulted before any materials are applied to the helmet such as, but not limited to, paint, wax, thinners, solvents, vinyl tape designs, cleaning agents, etc.

Basically, whether or not paint is a problem is up to the manufacturer.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The batting helmet looks really good. Look forward to seeing the catcher's. Been thinking about having a Shark design like the one shared above painted on my daughter's. I wish I knew someone in my area who did that kind fo work.

I suggest you do some internet searching. I found quite a few results for "custom baseball helmet painting" and "custom hockey helmet painting".

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Here's what I found in the NOCSAE website FAQs...

Basically, whether or not paint is a problem is up to the manufacturer.

I coached a team several years ago that had several players with unique decals on their helmets. They were told to remove the decals or switch helmets. The umpire said that he wanted to be sure we weren't trying to cover up helmet cracks or damage with the decals.

For Little League purposes, you may not paint your helmet unless you have a waiver from the helmet manufacturer specifically stating that the paint will not affect the helmet's structural integrity. Not too many manufacturers will provide this, since many paints do include chemicals that can weaken plastic. We got one from Worth that covered the decals we used, as long as the decals didn't cover the safety decals, but not paint.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
As a former Safety Manager I can tell you that painting a protective helmet is not only frowned upon it is not allowed in industry. The paint can make the helmet brittle and prone to break, and the paint might hide cracks and damage.

As a softball father, my dd had her helmet air brushed when she was 10U and it looked awesome. At 10u I was not so worried about the helmet being damaged by pitches. At 18U I would be concerned.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As a former Safety Manager I can tell you that painting a protective helmet is not only frowned upon it is not allowed in industry. The paint can make the helmet brittle and prone to break, and the paint might hide cracks and damage.

As a softball father, my dd had her helmet air brushed when she was 10U and it looked awesome. At 10u I was not so worried about the helmet being damaged by pitches. At 18U I would be concerned.

I hear what you're saying, but I find it interesting that hockey goalies have been painting their masks for decades without worry, and they face much higher impact speeds than found in softball.

Also, it seems that the outside surface of most batting helmets are painted (maybe just a clear coat for some). The Rip-It helmet is certainly painted, so was my DD's previous Adidas helmet. Because of this, it would seem that decorative painting would have to penetrate through the factory paint layer to have a structural effect. This seems pretty unlikely to me.

Just out of curiosity, I have emailed Rip-It regarding spray-painting/airbrushing a helmet, and whether it will affect the safety or warranty of the helmet. I'll let y'all know what I hear.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I coached a team several years ago that had several players with unique decals on their helmets. They were told to remove the decals or switch helmets. The umpire said that he wanted to be sure we weren't trying to cover up helmet cracks or damage with the decals.

For Little League purposes, you may not paint your helmet unless you have a waiver from the helmet manufacturer specifically stating that the paint will not affect the helmet's structural integrity. Not too many manufacturers will provide this, since many paints do include chemicals that can weaken plastic. We got one from Worth that covered the decals we used, as long as the decals didn't cover the safety decals, but not paint.

Other reasons the manufacturers wont give you the waiver...has nothing to do with safety. So please don't put too much stock on that...haha

Also, would think if you're painting a helmet...the painter would know what the heck they are using or do a little research.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Not sure if this was covered but a few girls on our team (rec ball) have thier helmets plasti dipped, airbrushed and then clear coated. The clear coat protects the paint from stcratches and at the end of the season everything gets peeled off and repainted for a new season. I personally haven't painted my DD's helmet since she got her all-star helmet but I just figured I would throw that out there and wonder if anyone else has tried plastidip?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD's catcher helmet done up in her "skulls and rainbow flames" theme...
75936_10203449789071885_2017585321_n.jpg

1011098_10203449789151887_24534732_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06