Painting a helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2013
During All-Stars last year, we saw plenty of teams with brand-new matching helmets, matching bags, etc. It was fun watching our team with colorful, custom-painted, mis-matched helmets come in and kick their matching @$$es.

My DD and I settled on a design concept for her catcher's mask last night - a variation on the "rainbow flames and skulls" theme of her batting helmet. It's being sent off today to the airbrush artist. Because of the abuse a catcher's mask typically gets, he does it in his shop with an automotive clear-coat finish to protect the design. I'll post pics when we get it back.

The batting helmet looks really good. Look forward to seeing the catcher's. Been thinking about having a Shark design like the one shared above painted on my daughter's. I wish I knew someone in my area who did that kind fo work.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The batting helmet looks really good. Look forward to seeing the catcher's. Been thinking about having a Shark design like the one shared above painted on my daughter's. I wish I knew someone in my area who did that kind fo work.

At the catcher's camp my DD attended a week ago, there was one kid with a fully-painted mask. It was a insane/scary clown with sharp teeth. I didn't want to get near it. I don't like clowns.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Before everyone runs out and buys a "do it yourself" airbrush kit, I would like to point out that most TB teams buy matching batting helmets for their players. Catchers masks can still be "personalized".

Jun 19, 2012
From what I understood painting or modifying a helmet in any way voided the NOCSAE approval. So if something were to happen the player would not be covered. I wouldn't suggest doing it. My daughters future is to important. If she wants something custom we do shirts airbrush decal etc.

Plus softball is a team sport not supposed to be about individualism. Just my two cents.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Watched this last night, so the image is fresh, enjoy:
Zombieland Clown Photo by gnj96 | Photobucket

That was completely unnecessary, GG. :(

;)

Plus softball is a team sport not supposed to be about individualism. Just my two cents.

Rec ball tends to be a little less tense about uniformity of appearance than high-level TB. Some of the rec league All-Star teams we play against have the whole matching kit. Our small league isn't that well funded.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06