Paige Lowary - Talk About Velocity!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Heres a recent game against Baylor, Parker is clocked at 63-65, Lowary is 70-75, most everybody is late on her. I have no doubt Lowary is throwing that hard, so far she is the only pitcher I've seen a team use the shift, no left fielder against rhb's.
https://youtu.be/2FsjaUPFyLM

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-04-21-03-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-04-04-21-03-38.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Heres a recent game against Baylor, Parker is clocked at 63-65, Lowary is 70-75, most everybody is late on her. I have no doubt Lowary is throwing that hard, so far she is the only pitcher I've seen a team use the shift, no left fielder against rhb's.
https:// youtu.be/2FsjaUPFyLM

Exactly...even if the gun is "juiced" she is still throwing ~10% harder than most others...if that is true, then logic would dictate that most others are barely breaking 60...CP

Feb 15, 2017
Bill,

I went to a NPF game in Chicago two years ago. I brought my pocket radar. You can get some good seats there and I had a good spot behind the plate to get speed readings. I saw some big name pitchers and the fastest speed I clocked was 65 MPH. They averaged around low 60s in the game I went to. Im also in town of a Big 10 college and I pull out the Pocket Radar sometimes to see what they're throwing in Big 10 comp. Yes, its not Paige Lowary, but fastest Ive clocked is 67 and average is low to mid 60s. I agree with Bill, ESPN gun is juiced. But, on the flip side, its a great confidence booster for the pitchers.

I took my PR a few years ago to Rosemont and sat front row behind the plate and put it directly aside of the stadium gun. With Monica Abbott in the circle the scoreboard registered 72-75 on almost every pitch. My PR showed 4-5 mph slower on EVERY pitch. Ego boost 🤷*♂️

Would be curious to use it on MLB pitching...

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I took my PR a few years ago to Rosemont and sat front row behind the plate and put it directly aside of the stadium gun. With Monica Abbott in the circle the scoreboard registered 72-75 on almost every pitch. My PR showed 4-5 mph slower on EVERY pitch. Ego boost ��*♂️

Would be curious to use it on MLB pitching...

...But yet I have people arguing with me that their 12U pitcher throws 60 and there are a multitude of 10U pitchers out there throwing 50+...

I have 3 girls at my facility that throws 60+...14U and 2 girls who are 16U on my radar.

CP

Nov 25, 2012
USA
...But yet I have people arguing with me that their 12U pitcher throws 60 and there are a multitude of 10U pitchers out there throwing 50+...

I have 3 girls at my facility that throws 60+...14U and 2 girls who are 16U on my radar.

CP

Agree! Yet, while most of us know, the stories continue. The truth is, until you put a kid against another kid with the same gun you won't know yet the stories will continue. I think most people just want to know what is realistic and some of the earlier posts with average age pitching speeds are in line IMO. Others, if it sounds to good to be true it likely is. The frustrating part is most just want to know where their student or DD falls in line with the average. Are they above, below, or in-line. I really think that is all most are looking for yet it is very difficult to figure out what is true or not true and it is the "not true" that can make you think you don't have a shot when in fact you really do. Again, just talking speed here. Spin and movement are the important factors IMO but just talking speed for now.

All that said, and I agree with Bill and others on the topic to a degree. Lowary is one of my favorites and part of that is she appears to be a great kid and I am Sooner born and Sooner bred. I know she throws hard and would wager brings the most velocity in the college game today. She is pure speed and I haven't seen anybody faster.........However, how fast is she throwing, I don't know and cannot trust ESPN's radar one bit.
2 reasons - friend of mine I went to school with had a daughter play at Oklahoma for her freshman year and then she left. She was fortunate enough to be put into one of the World Series games at a point they were behind. They had won game 1 and were behind in game 2 with what looked like not a chance to come back so she got in. The radar had her pegged at 70 to 71 almost every pitch. She was and still is a great pitcher (transferred out after freshman year) but I am fairly confident in saying she did not throw 70 in her life.

2nd reason and I posted about this in another thread. OH for South Carolina played Tennessee a few weeks ago on SEC Network. She was averaging 57-59 on almost every pitch. The Tennessee pitchers (not Moss) were right there as well in the same ball park. I was shocked that they were only periodically breaking 60. Then fast forward to last week and I watched both teams separately on ESPN ( I have to go back to confirm it was ESPN but pretty sure) and all the pitchers from TN and OH from SC were cruising mid-60's on every pitch. The week before cruising at upper 50's and then the following week cruising at mid-60's? Really??
What I don't know is which one is correct? Was the radar for SEC Network slow or was the one on ESPN juiced? I have know idea and yet again, nothing to feel confident about comparatively speaking.

Nov 29, 2016
Could also have to do with where they pick up the pitch. The closer to the plate the ball is picked up the slower it will be compared to when it left the hand. I doubt there's any sort of rule in place from park to park.

As an example of the speed difference from baseball, Nolan Ryan was clocked at 101 when radar was new and they were measuring near home plate, it's estimated that if they'd have measured closer to release like they currently do the pitch would have been 107 - 108, quite a difference.

Dec 16, 2010
She hits 75 all the time...

From last years WCWS...look in the bottom right corner after she throws it...

[video]https://youtu.be/tDcQ0_KGeZM?t=412[/video]

Just curious...why don't believe she throws that hard?

CP

TLDR - based on frame counts, I think 75 on that pitch is plausible.

When practical, I gun my dds pitches from behind the umpire with a pocket radar. She frequently hits 59, occasionally 60 and in one game she hit 61 three times.

I've learned to expect ~14 frames from hand to bat at 30 fps. I have trouble standardizing glove impact. On my dds last PR 61 mph pitch (sadly, she gave up a walk-off hit on that pitch), it was 13+ frames.

I estimate 11 frames to what would have been contact on Lowary's reported 75 pitch.

The frame count estimates are crude but based on my pocket radar clocking of dd's games, 75 on that pitch seems about right.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

CP

I get 10U and 12U readings like that every once and a while. What people fail to understand is that radar is not measuring the pitch speed but the highest speed of the fastest object. So any time the batter swings and/or the ball is hit you may be picking up the speed of the bat or the exit velocity of ball off the bat. While a 10U kid throwing 50+ or 12U throwing 60 is pretty rare, an exit velocity at those speeds is quite reasonable. I remember a bunch of folks getting very excited when my Stalker II was reading 68 - 73mph when Jake was in High School. I adjusted the range so I did not pick up the expressway behind the field and her speed dropped a bit. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414