Paige Lowary - Talk About Velocity!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm glad to see pitchers excelling with legal mechanics. I love "the Pages"!
That clip of barnhill is like "this is how the replant works" the fact that the announcer was saying for kids to take note just makes it worse.

a few years back....

Doug
I think this clip shows what I term "Bow-Flex-Bow".....where the hip rotation significantly leads the shoulder rotation creating a real diagonal muscle stretch-reflex action for the shoulder rotation. You can see this in other high velocity pitchers like Monica Abbott and Ueno. Also a common trait in these high velocity pitchers is that their stride foot rotates open as it approaches foot plant. This is also very prevalent in baseball pitching. It is great for speed but a bit of a challenge for spin axis.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
call me crazy and take away my membership card here but, I don't believe for a second that girl throws that fast.

Bill

She hits 75 all the time...

From last years WCWS...look in the bottom right corner after she throws it...

[video]https://youtu.be/tDcQ0_KGeZM?t=412[/video]

Just curious...why don't believe she throws that hard?

CP

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

CP

Been to many college venues and some radar units are a bit off and in the case of some places like USF they are totally bogus. That said Lowary puts up these numbers most every time she is in the circle. So unless there is a deep softball state conspiracy I have to believe that her numbers are legit. Have not seen anyone throw that hard since Granger.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2016

CP

7:02 (all I can see is replanting?)

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
7:02 (all I can see is replanting?)

That's not a re-plant...meaning she doesn't do what Barnhill does...she does get that back foot off the ground a touch but it is difficult to say how much...if the toe doesn't come off the ground higher than the height of the pitching plate, they won't call it...or at least I've never seen it called...

Regardless...she still throws 75mph...CP

Aug 21, 2008
Chris,

The average men's pitcher is mid to upper 70's. Adam Folkard, in a league of his own, hits 85 (some guns have had him at 89). This is with a step back off the rubber for momentum, and a massive crow hop. You're telling me, with a straight face, that this girl throws as hard as ISC level pitchers with 2 feet on the rubber and no "cheating"? 2nd, I dont' think she uses her hips enough to get THAT much power. Not 75mph worth. 3rd. How can any team score on her if she throws THAT much harder than the rest?

I have no doubt ESPN's guns are juiced for TV purposes and it gets the fans excited. And I say they are juiced period, not just for Oklahoma.

As i said, call me crazy and take away my membership here. But I just don't think it's 75. I know what it takes to throw 75, it's freaking hard to do! Now, you're on ESPN playing for the title, adrenaline is going to push your numbers but, 75 consistently? I don't buy it.

Bill

Feb 15, 2017
Been to many college venues and some radar units are a bit off and in the case of some places like USF they are totally bogus. That said Lowary puts up these numbers most every time she is in the circle. So unless there is a deep softball state conspiracy I have to believe that her numbers are legit. Have not seen anyone throw that hard since Granger.
To me USF is off about 4-5 MPH. Does that seem right?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nov 3, 2012
Bill,

I went to a NPF game in Chicago two years ago. I brought my pocket radar. You can get some good seats there and I had a good spot behind the plate to get speed readings. I saw some big name pitchers and the fastest speed I clocked was 65 MPH. They averaged around low 60s in the game I went to. Im also in town of a Big 10 college and I pull out the Pocket Radar sometimes to see what they're throwing in Big 10 comp. Yes, its not Paige Lowary, but fastest Ive clocked is 67 and average is low to mid 60s. I agree with Bill, ESPN gun is juiced. But, on the flip side, its a great confidence booster for the pitchers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00