Over Officious?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Generally speaking most teams that huddle don't do it just at the beginning of the inning. They do it after every put out with no runners on also. Then they have to high 5, slap gloves, bump hips, do a little dance...... Its a gigantic waste of time, especially when its a timed game. And when you tell them to stop the coaches and parents all want to give you the "just let them play ball". That's exactly what I'm trying to do, all the other crap is not playing ball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We huddle every half inning. The rule states 1 minute between innings. How we use it is up to us. Our lead off is always ready on offense and we are 1 and down with no infield balls on defense after the first inning.

There existing rules are very clear and there is no need for additional BS tournament or local rules.

Jun 22, 2008
We huddle every half inning. The rule states 1 minute between innings. How we use it is up to us. Our lead off is always ready on offense and we are 1 and down with no infield balls on defense after the first inning.

There existing rules are very clear and there is no need for additional BS tournament or local rules.

And if every team did that it wouldn't be a problem but your team would be the exception. The reason for the added tournament rules regarding huddles is just as I stated above. Teams seem to want to take their time getting on field then take 5 or more warm up pitches then do the team huddle etc etc etc.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
And if every team did that it wouldn't be a problem but your team would be the exception. The reason for the added tournament rules regarding huddles is just as I stated above. Teams seem to want to take their time getting on field then take 5 or more warm up pitches then do the team huddle etc etc etc.

The solution is not additional rules, it is enforcement of the existing 1 minute rule. After 60 seconds the umpire terminates any warmup pitches, calls for the batter, and resumes play. The penalties for non-compliance are clear. I guarantee you that once the penalty is first assessed there will not be any more transgressions.

You also have to keep in mind that these are paid events and the teams are the customers. If both teams want to screw around for 5 minutes between innings, so what? It is their time, they paid for it. The problem is when one team is prepared and another is dorking around. At that point the umpire only need do their job and control the game.

I have seen umpires go as far as announce at every half inning - "You have 60 seconds ladies. 45 seconds, 30 seconds, 15 seconds, play ball." It was very effective.

Plenty of umpires talk the talk about moving the game along, but all too often we are ready and they are getting water, talking to fans, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I'm all for anything to speed the game up. The only exception I would make is if the pitcher made the last out. Give them a little extra time. Other than that throw 3 warm ups fire it to second throw it around and batter up.

Jul 2, 2013
The last showcase we played we stopped taking warm ups between innings to speed things up. Both coaches agreed to "one pitch and throw down". I bet our girls got 10-15 minutes more playing time vs. warm up time in front of the college coaches in attendance.

Yeah ....

My DD is typically a #4, or #5 hitter. The game of softball is DESIGNED to offer three (3) trips around the order in most cases.

If the game is moved along, then the top of the order usually gets the opportunity in the last inning to go out and win the game.

If the game crawls along, the game often ends at the bottom of the 2nd time around. Times up, game over.

For those who do not notice, well you are probably too busy wasting time. For parents who pay money, it is well worth it for three trips, at least to the top order late.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Actually, the rule states no such thing.. The PITCHER has one minute to deliver her warm-up pitches. The offense needs to have their batter ready when the umpire calls for play. The offense does NOT have an certain period of time to do whatever they want.

AFA the huddles on the field, just one question? Why? The team, as a unit, is leaving the field of play into the dugout, so if something needs to be said, that should be the place.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Actually, the rule states no such thing.. The PITCHER has one minute to deliver her warm-up pitches. The offense needs to have their batter ready when the umpire calls for play. The offense does NOT have an certain period of time to do whatever they want.

AFA the huddles on the field, just one question? Why? The team, as a unit, is leaving the field of play into the dugout, so if something needs to be said, that should be the place.

Yes. You are correct, as long as my 1st batter is ready when the umpire calls for her we are in compliance with the rules. What everyone else on my team does in that 60 seconds is moot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32