Outfielding - safety stops

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
interesting! and Coach Candrea still running outfield himself now, right, (since Dave F left 2 years ago?) did he say why? Caitlin Lowe was best I ever saw and she NEVER made an error - why has that changed?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, Candrea's opinion aside, dropping to a knee to protect from the possibility of a ball getting by you is a good, solid, mechanic that has been tried and true for over a century.

However, that is not what this thread was about.

The so-called "safety stop" for which I have never understood the need should occur to make the pop-up fluid with the throwing motion. That means the throwing shoulder/arm should be to the rear, not leading toward the direction of the throw.

Oct 19, 2009
I have video clips of Tara Henry (UCLA), Caitlin Lowe (U of Arizona and -0- ERROS in 4 years of Collegiate ball!!) and a CF from Washington a few years back. All drop to a knee on the single grounder to Outfielder. (protects from a bad hop getting by when situation is runners don't have an opportunity to advance on a routine hit - AND seen too many times when routine singles skip by the outfielder and runners get 1-2 plus extra bases - EVERY year!

Which knee did they drop to? Throwing or glove arm?

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
just looked at the Tara henry clip, 2005 UCLA/Arizona game..... Tara as you know is right-handed and she dropped her right knee, turned inward (not like old baseball days, but with right knee facing to the left.) - ironically - in THAT clip - Caitlin Lowe was at 2B!) I've got various Arizona and UCLA games on DVDs (recorded off Tivoed games).... but I know Caitlin Lowe also drops her right knee (watched many games in person at U of A and in Oklahoma, as well as and on TV) as well as the Wash CF... I use them every year as clips for OFs to argue if DIV 1 players drop their knee, our girls can.....

Nov 1, 2009
All great feedback. If you are going to drop to a knee it would only be with no runners on base and the knee on the ground would be your throwing hand or else the up knee and the glove would be occupying the same space. It is not a bad technique and many very good outfielders over the years have used it but I don't think it is essential.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
All great feedback. If you are going to drop to a knee it would only be with no runners on base and the knee on the ground would be your throwing hand or else the up knee and the glove would be occupying the same space. It is not a bad technique and many very good outfielders over the years have used it but I don't think it is essential.

I don't understand how you think the glove and knee would need to occupy the same space. The glove regardless of the hand, should always be out in front between the ball and the backstop that the player just created with their body. I can see were it could be awkward. Then again, it would also depend on whether the fielder had the time and angle to square up to the ball or take it in with a backhand position.

I don't think this is something that there is a concrete, must-do mechanic that applies 100% of the time.

Of course, most of this thread was hijacked and has absolutly nothing to do with the OP, but it is what it is.:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32