outfield recovery

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Question? Which way in most coaches or players mind is the best way an outfielder should recover to het going in the correct position after a fly ball.
Example: Ball is hitting player drop steps back to her right only to realize it is to her left. Should they spin completely around which will take their eyes off the bail or spinning back in which will allow them to keep track of the ball.?
Just want to get everyone's perspective on this.
Thanks

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I prefer the spin back in to keep the eye on the ball, but if its a well hit ball then the other way is usually a little faster but more likely to lose the ball.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We work both during our outfield drills. Snapping the head around does allow them to keep their eye on the ball though. If the girl does not have an issue finding the ball if she turns around it is smoother and faster.

Jul 2, 2013
I have always worked both also but it seems like most teach to never take your eye off the ball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Question? Which way in most coaches or players mind is the best way an outfielder should recover to het going in the correct position after a fly ball.
Example: Ball is hitting player drop steps back to her right only to realize it is to her left. Should they spin completely around which will take their eyes off the bail or spinning back in which will allow them to keep track of the ball.?
Just want to get everyone's perspective on this.
Thanks

I would coach her to pivot back the other direction while keeping her eye on the ball. May not always happen that way in a game, but I would not coach spinning around and taking her eye off the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom