Outfield Positioning???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Hello All:
I have a question about outfield positions.My daughter is one of four outfielders on her team. She has the strongest arm and the best speed etc..Her Coach told her I need you in RightField he won't put her in centerfield? I would of thought your strongest outfielder goes to center?

Please share any input for the reasoning behind this ?

Thanks
JWP

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
While I agree with you that your strongest outfielder should probably be in CF, RF needs a stronger arm to stop the runners from going to 3rd. They are also running a lot to backup bases so they need to be fairly athletic. Lastly, it depends on your pitchers. It might be that more balls are hit to RF then CF or LF against your Team.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Depends on the age group and the strength of your pitchers. If I have a flamethrower a good amount of balls go to the right because hitters are behind. If I have a spinner I may be throwing CU inside to the heart of the order and balls rocket to left. Under no circumstances do I want the ball going up the middle to center. When they get a ball it was usually a mistake by the pitcher.

Apr 8, 2010
Its 18U travel , I believe the coach has a girl that throws 62mph so maybe you are correct and her Coach is thinking they are going to be late ?

JWP

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Its 18U travel , I believe the coach has a girl that throws 62mph so maybe you are correct and her Coach is thinking they are going to be late ?

JWP

Possibly. I would encourage her to have a conversation with the HC as to how he wants her to play it. When my DD was in the circle I wanted an athlete in RF playing very aggressively and throwing runners out at 1st base. Out there I know that athlete will get balls hit to her and have an opportunity to make an impact.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Possibly. I would encourage her to have a conversation with the HC as to how he wants her to play it. When my DD was in the circle I wanted an athlete in RF playing very aggressively and throwing runners out at 1st base. Out there I know that athlete will get balls hit to her and have an opportunity to make an impact.

I agree completely. We get more hits to right than center, and there is opportunity for the play at first for a speedster with an arm. If you are pitching a Thumber, and calling lots of inside pitches to pull foul, it's a different story. My right fielder runs a lot during a game.

Apr 8, 2010
I agree completely. We get more hits to right than center, and there is opportunity for the play at first for a speedster with an arm. If you are pitching a Thumber, and calling lots of inside pitches to pull foul, it's a different story. My right fielder runs a lot during a game.

Guys

Thanks for the input I will share them with my kid !!! I appreciate the feedback....

JWP:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1