Out of State = how bad???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So can somebody tell me what size & kind of disadvantage it can be to get a scholarship when you are an out-of-state softball prospect for a school .vs. in-state?

I know about regular school facts on out-of-state tuitions etc, but never really understood yet how this applies to athletes.

Anyone help?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD just took a DII scholarship out of state (Texas). The out of state tuition is being waived because she is an athlete who will play for the school.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
When DD was in the recruiting process there were a number of schools that waived "out of State fees" as a part of offer/package - some for Athletics and signing an NLI and others were based upon a combination of athletics and grades/ACT/SAT scores.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
At D-I school in OVC dd was offered very good scholarship based upon percentage numbers. However, percentage was out of state and it was not waived. So, when a person factors out of state tuition and say 55% as in our case it still left considerable unpaid tuition. Note this does not factor any academic monies.

If you look at schools, many have several practices approved by that university. My dd attends a school in Missouri and we live in Illinois. However, we are still considered "in state tuition" because we are within a certain area that dd's institution targets for students. Some Ohio Valley Conference schools here in the midwest have policies that include in state and out of state but also include "in region."

One final thought on this. We own land in one state that had a university recruiting my dd and have owned that land for some time. In fact, our land is not 20 minutes away from this university, has a house on it and would have been where my dd would have stayed if she attended there. So, we asked if she moved in on this land just after graduation from high school would she be considered in state since she would have lived there 3 months prior to enrolling. I know one guy who's daughter did this in another state. This particular univresity said that you have to be a resident for a year prior to enrollment to be considered a resident. I don't know if this would have been true had we pursued this since we had "bills" for this property for some 15 years we could have fallen back on.

States can be really picky about in state tuition if they want to it really just depends. I think you just have to look at the bottom line, if they don't waive "out of state" and you get a 55% scholarship it might cost you as much as in state tuition so you really are not getting a scholarship at all at least from a personal financial standpoint and that is what you should be looking at not what % you are getting but what is going to be you out of pocket expense. If one school offers 55% and another 75% but your out of pocket money is the same then you should take $$ off the table when comparing the schools and look at other factors.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would imagine waiving the 'out of state' tuition would be one of the primary bargaining chips a lot of coaches have available to them. Just offering an athlete in-state tuition can be a significant savings and make their offer more appealing.

Jun 22, 2008
My daughter had out of state tuition waived, and because of her juco grades she was also given a full tuition waiver. On top of this the coach also gave her some athletic money the first year and doubled it the second year plus some book money.

Dec 7, 2011
Thanks to all you good folks that shared your experience.

Looks like the final answer is "it depends"......

Based on that at least I know I could/should "push back" in any negotiation where the school might say "you must be considered out-of-state"

Take care my extended softball family!!! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA