Scholarship question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How else can you look at it as?
When a state school hires a coach from another state what the school is saying, exactly, is that the locals aren't good enough.
It's the same when a school recruits players from other states, they're telling the local player pool that they're not good enough to represent the school at the national level amd to be competitive nationally, the schools team needs ringers from other states.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Odd perspective. No one ever says Alabama isn’t a good enough football state since their coach and many of their players are not from Alabama.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If I was to take pride in my State and local colleges, or worry about how my taxes were being spent I would look at the institution's academic reputation, not the quality of their softball team. I would rather have my daughter's resume include a degree from Stanford than one from Oklahoma.

Nov 8, 2020
Odd perspective. No one ever says Alabama isn’t a good enough football state since their coach and many of their players are not from Alabama.
I say that ALL THE TIME and argue that the NCAA should count the scholarships in football exactly as I suggested they do for softball.

Nov 8, 2020
If I was to take pride in my State and local colleges, or worry about how my taxes were being spent I would look at the institution's academic reputation, not the quality of their softball team. I would rather have my daughter's resume include a degree from Stanford than one from Oklahoma.
According to US News National University rankings, all 3 of the Pac 9 schools in California would rank ahead of Oklahoma

Stanford #6
UCLA #20
UC Berkeley #22
USC (no softball) #24

Non Pac
Cal Tech D3 SCIAC (no softball)#9
UC Santa Barbara D1 Big West #30
UC Irvine D1 Big West (no softball) #35
UC San Diego D1 Big West #35
UC Davis D1 Big West #39
Pepperdine D1 WCC (no softball) #49
Santa Clara D1 WCC #53
Loyola Marymount D1 WCC #66
UC Riverside D1 Big West #88
San Diego D1 West Coast Conference #88
UC Merced NAIA (no softball) #97
UC Santa Cruz D3 CAC (no softball) #97
San Francisco D1 WCC (no softball) #103
Chapman D3 SCIAC #124

Oklahoma D1 Big 12 #133

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I just want to see my state better represented and make the state schools be made up of players from the state the school is in....and coached by someone from that state.
So basically you want to lock all athletes nationwide into their respective state's colleges so that you can what..... puff up your chest in pride?
I wonder how much those California college ratings are improved by out of state students? Certainly Stanford's is and a lot of that is due to academic scholarships offered to out of state students.

Nov 8, 2020
So basically you want to lock all athletes nationwide into their respective state's colleges so that you can what..... puff up your chest in pride?
I wonder how much those California college ratings are improved by out of state students? Certainly Stanford's is and a lot of that is due to academic scholarships offered to out of state students.
What is wrong with wanting the players and coaches to come from the state that is written all over their uniforms?
You dont want your kids to be able to grow up and play for their state's school? You'd rather your children just grow up to cheer for all the players from other states playing for your children's state's school?

College Sports should be about regional pride, "our kids are better than your kids." Save all that free agent, play for pay stuff to the pros. If it says "Oklahoma" across your uniform, then all of the players and coaches should be from Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018
Texas
IMO, College Sports should be about regional pride, "our kids are better than your kids." Save all that free agent, play for pay stuff to the pros. If it says "Oklahoma" across your uniform, then all of the players and coaches should be from Oklahoma.

Fixed it for you in bold. :)

I want my DD to go to the best school that will give her the best education for what she wants for her future. If that's Oklahoma then that's fine by me. If it's the UK, Nigeria, or Mongolia, then I will do whatever I can to help make it happen.

May 11, 2014
How many generations should we check too see where they should go to college. Since most Californians came from Oklahoma and other states shouldn't they all go to Oklahoma and the other states.

Nov 18, 2013
What is wrong with wanting the players and coaches to come from the state that is written all over their uniforms?
You dont want your kids to be able to grow up and play for their state's school? You'd rather your children just grow up to cheer for all the players from other states playing for your children's state's school?

College Sports should be about regional pride, "our kids are better than your kids." Save all that free agent, play for pay stuff to the pros. If it says "Oklahoma" across your uniform, then all of the players and coaches should be from Oklahoma.

Sounds like Rec ball. Arbitrary boundaries that kids must play in whether they like it or not. Sticking with your argument we’d have to do away with school choice and all kids must go to school in the city they live and adults must work in the cities they live.

Naw, I’ll go with the current format.

Reactions: #10

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478